How do I do this glucose dilution problem?

In summary, to prepare a solution of 25ml of 2.5% glucose from a stock of 1.75M glucose, you will need to mix 1.98 ml of the stock solution with 23.02 ml of water. The molecular mass of glucose is 180g/mol and the equation c1v2=c2v2 can be used to calculate the volume needed. The final solution should have a concentration of 25g/liter.
vande060

Homework Statement

how do you prepare a solution for 25ml of 2.5% glucose form a stock of 1.75M glucose

i don't get how you would do this without the density of 2.5% glucose solution

Homework Equations

c1v2 = c2v2

molecular mass glucose = 180g/mol

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure if I am doing this right:

2.5 % m/v

2.5g in 100ml water (i got help with this definition, but i still don't understand how you can say this. is it because 100ml = 100g water and 2.5g/100g = .025 of 2.5 %?)

25g in 1l

so i need a solution that has 25g/liter

----------------

1.75M * 180g/mol = 315g/l

c1v2 = c2v2

315(v1) = 25*25

v1 = 1.98

with sig figs = 2ml of the original solution needed

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You say you don't know how to do it but you have almost done it. Not completely checked but it looks right.

Fact is "2.5% glucose" is a bit ambiguous. Therefore anyone who wants it shouldn't mind a small error! :biggrin:. But from the rest I think we can agree it's 2.5g glucose per 100ml solution. Solution, not water.

But OK if you want not 100ml but 25 ml of that, it takes a quarter that is, er, 2.5/4 g = 0.625 g

So of a 315 g/l solution 0.625g is contained in 0.625/315 l = 0.00198 l = 1.98 ml as you found.

So actually to get this in a final 25 ml you need to mix your 1.98 ml with (25 - 1.98) = 23.02 ml of water. You do not need to know the density of anything. More often than not you won't and when you do they will tell you, so when they don't tell you you will mostly be right to think "Aha, that means for this problem I don't need to know density, so... need thinks smiley.

1. How do I calculate the amount of glucose needed for a specific dilution?

To calculate the amount of glucose needed for a specific dilution, you will first need to determine the desired concentration and final volume of the solution. Then, use the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume. Rearrange the formula to solve for V1, which will give you the amount of glucose needed for the dilution.

2. What is the purpose of diluting glucose in experiments?

The purpose of diluting glucose in experiments is to create a solution with a lower concentration, which can be used to study the effects of different concentrations on a biological system. This allows for more accurate and controlled experiments, as well as the ability to test a wider range of concentrations without using large amounts of glucose.

3. Can I use any type of solvent for diluting glucose?

No, it is important to use a solvent that is compatible with glucose and will not react with it. Typically, water is used as the solvent for glucose dilution as it is readily available and does not react with glucose. However, in some cases, other solvents such as ethanol or buffer solutions may be used.

4. How do I prepare a serial dilution of glucose?

To prepare a serial dilution of glucose, you will need to start with a concentrated solution of glucose and then dilute it multiple times to create a series of solutions with decreasing concentrations. Each dilution will require a certain volume of the previous solution and a specific amount of solvent. It is important to carefully label each solution and keep track of the dilution factor to accurately calculate the final concentration.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with glucose dilution?

Yes, always wear appropriate personal protective equipment such as gloves and goggles when working with glucose solutions. Also, be cautious when handling concentrated solutions and always make sure to properly label all solutions to avoid confusion. In case of accidental exposure, immediately consult the safety data sheet for glucose and follow proper safety protocols.