How to prepare myself for college?

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for becoming a practicing astronomer and the importance of having a strong foundation in math. It is recommended to pursue a quantitatively based undergraduate major, such as Chemistry or Physics, and to excel in math courses. Community college is also a good option for building any missing qualifications. The speaker expresses their interest in Astronomy/Computer Technology and their willingness to retake math courses in community college in order to improve their skills.
Swazii
I am interested in studying in the field of Astronomy/Computer Technology. I am very good for both. Two days ago, my school got a college fair which was very fun for me and I was speaking to a representative of Miami Dade Community College and she told me that I need first get a degree (or course) in Chemistry and/or Physics (I am very fond of both so that is fine) and I have to be really good at math. My world shattered. What math do I need to know I am as bad at math as Pinocchio is at lying. So I need to find everything out before it is too late. Thanks you kindly in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
To become a practicing astronomer you will need to get a PhD in Physics or Astronomy. To do that, you will need a quantitvely based undergraduate major (Math, Chemistry, Physics, etc.) with Physics BS being highly preferred. Physics has a lot of math. You will need to know math for astronomy!

You need, at the very least, four years of college preparatory mathematics course work in high school; and there are additional requirements. In case you don't qualify for "university" right from high school, the community college option is a very good one for building any missing qualifications.

Ritzycat said:
To become a practicing astronomer you will need to get a PhD in Physics or Astronomy. To do that, you will need a quantitvely based undergraduate major (Math, Chemistry, Physics, etc.) with Physics BS being highly preferred. Physics has a lot of math. You will need to know math for astronomy!
I was thinking on going to the University and get Chemistry as a Major and Physics as a Minor. What do you think? I did some research and I like Astrochemistry also but not sure if it is easier (does sound easier) but then again I need to do a little more research.

symbolipoint said:
You need, at the very least, four years of college preparatory mathematics course work in high school; and there are additional requirements. In case you don't qualify for "university" right from high school, the community college option is a very good one for building any missing qualifications.
I will be going to community college also.

Swazii said:
I will be going to community college also.

Good! You should not feel as if you are missing much. The elementary level (including introductory-named) courses of the sciences in the community colleges are just as good as those you would have taken in high school. They are just stuffed into an 18-week time range. In case the c.c. counseling department assesses you and tells you to start your math at some level below what you studied at the time of your high school graduation, do what they tell you. The meaning is that you are not ready to continue beyond what you studied in high school.

At CC maybe you can find out why you haven't liked math so much. Is it boring to you? Were you not as good at it? If you are really set on astronomy you can find yourself to love math with enough effort. Good luck!

Swazii said:
I am interested in studying in the field of Astronomy/Computer Technology. I am very good for both. Two days ago, my school got a college fair which was very fun for me and I was speaking to a representative of Miami Dade Community College and she told me that I need first get a degree (or course) in Chemistry and/or Physics (I am very fond of both so that is fine) and I have to be really good at math. My world shattered. What math do I need to know I am as bad at math as Pinocchio is at lying. So I need to find everything out before it is too late. Thanks you kindly in advance.
The Mathematics seems to scare you more than anything else. Just how much or which Mathematics courses did you study in high school? Are you willing to repeat at the community college? Are you good at most of "Algebra 1" right now?

As long as you are willing to put in the effort to effectively learn the necessary qualifying mathematics, you may find that much of the accompanying skills will be a very very very helpful part of any of your Physics and other science courses you study.

Ritzycat said:
At CC maybe you can find out why you haven't liked math so much. Is it boring to you? Were you not as good at it? If you are really set on astronomy you can find yourself to love math with enough effort. Good luck!
Oh yes, math becomes fun when I know what I am doing. For example, today in Alg 2 the teacher was teaching was teaching polynomials and I did not understood it then he helped me understand it and I knew how to do it. Man I haven't had this much fun with math since freshman year. :)

symbolipoint said:
The Mathematics seems to scare you more than anything else. Just how much or which Mathematics courses did you study in high school? Are you willing to repeat at the community college? Are you good at most of "Algebra 1" right now?

As long as you are willing to put in the effort to effectively learn the necessary qualifying mathematics, you may find that much of the accompanying skills will be a very very very helpful part of any of your Physics and other science courses you study.
In order from ninth to eleventh (the grade I am now) Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2. No I am not good at Algebra 1 but yes I am willing to retake them and to really learn it in community college.

Swazii said:
In order from ninth to eleventh (the grade I am now) Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2. No I am not good at Algebra 1 but yes I am willing to retake them and to really learn it in community college.
The time is still early in the school year. Maybe you can improve in Algebra 1 as you study your current Algebra 2 course. The "2" course is a continuation of the "1" course, although some of the contents are a review of "1". You WILL use Algebra 1 & 2 knowledge in most of the science and engineering courses you study.

symbolipoint said:
The time is still early in the school year. Maybe you can improve in Algebra 1 as you study your current Algebra 2 course. The "2" course is a continuation of the "1" course, although some of the contents are a review of "1". You WILL use Algebra 1 & 2 knowledge in most of the science and engineering courses you study.
Thanks for the useful information symbolipoint

1. How can I choose the right college for me?

Choosing the right college requires careful consideration of various factors such as location, cost, academic programs, campus culture, and student life. Start by researching different colleges and their offerings, and make a list of your top choices. Then, visit the campuses to get a feel for the environment and talk to current students and faculty. Finally, consider your own academic and personal goals to make a decision that aligns with your needs.

2. What steps should I take to prepare academically for college?

Preparing academically for college involves taking challenging courses in high school, developing good study habits, and staying organized. It's also important to take standardized tests like the SAT or ACT and maintain a strong GPA. Additionally, consider taking college-level courses like AP or IB classes, and seek out extracurricular activities that align with your academic interests.

3. How can I financially prepare for college?

College can be expensive, so it's important to start planning for the financial aspect early on. Research different financial aid options such as scholarships, grants, and loans. Consider applying for as many scholarships as possible and look into work-study programs. Create a budget to manage your expenses and explore ways to save money, such as living at home or attending a community college for the first two years.

4. What are some ways to prepare for the social aspect of college?

College is a new and exciting social environment, and it's important to prepare for it. Start by getting involved in extracurricular activities in high school to build social skills and make new friends. Take advantage of orientation programs and events at your college to get to know your classmates and campus. Also, remember to be open-minded and willing to try new things, as college is a great opportunity to meet people from different backgrounds.

5. How can I mentally prepare for the challenges of college?

College can be academically, socially, and emotionally challenging. To prepare yourself mentally, it's important to have a positive mindset and believe in your abilities. Take care of your physical and mental health by getting enough sleep, eating well, and managing stress. Seek support from friends, family, and campus resources if you feel overwhelmed. Remember that it's okay to make mistakes and that challenges can help you grow and learn.