1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prepare myself for college?

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    I am interested in studying in the field of Astronomy/Computer Technology. I am very good for both. Two days ago, my school got a college fair which was very fun for me and I was speaking to a representative of Miami Dade Community College and she told me that I need first get a degree (or course) in Chemistry and/or Physics (I am very fond of both so that is fine) and I have to be really good at math. My world shattered. What math do I need to know I am as bad at math as Pinocchio is at lying. So I need to find everything out before it is too late. Thanks you kindly in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2
    To become a practicing astronomer you will need to get a PhD in Physics or Astronomy. To do that, you will need a quantitvely based undergraduate major (Math, Chemistry, Physics, etc.) with Physics BS being highly preferred. Physics has a lot of math. You will need to know math for astronomy!

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You need, at the very least, four years of college preparatory mathematics course work in high school; and there are additional requirements. In case you don't qualify for "university" right from high school, the community college option is a very good one for building any missing qualifications.

5. Nov 2, 2014 #4
    I was thinking on going to the University and get Chemistry as a Major and Physics as a Minor. What do you think? I did some research and I like Astrochemistry also but not sure if it is easier (does sound easier) but then again I need to do a little more research.

6. Nov 2, 2014 #5
    I will be going to community college also.

7. Nov 2, 2014 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Good!! You should not feel as if you are missing much. The elementary level (including introductory-named) courses of the sciences in the community colleges are just as good as those you would have taken in high school. They are just stuffed into an 18-week time range. In case the c.c. counseling department assesses you and tells you to start your math at some level below what you studied at the time of your high school graduation, do what they tell you. The meaning is that you are not ready to continue beyond what you studied in high school.

8. Nov 3, 2014 #7
    At CC maybe you can find out why you haven't liked math so much. Is it boring to you? Were you not as good at it? If you are really set on astronomy you can find yourself to love math with enough effort. Good luck!

9. Nov 3, 2014 #8

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The Mathematics seems to scare you more than anything else. Just how much or which Mathematics courses did you study in high school? Are you willing to repeat at the community college? Are you good at most of "Algebra 1" right now?

As long as you are willing to put in the effort to effectively learn the necessary qualifying mathematics, you may find that much of the accompanying skills will be a very very very helpful part of any of your Physics and other science courses you study.

10. Nov 3, 2014 #9
    Oh yes, math becomes fun when I know what I am doing. For example, today in Alg 2 the teacher was teaching was teaching polynomials and I did not understood it then he helped me understand it and I knew how to do it. Man I haven't had this much fun with math since freshman year. :)

11. Nov 3, 2014 #10
    In order from ninth to eleventh (the grade I am now) Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2. No I am not good at Algebra 1 but yes I am willing to retake them and to really learn it in community college.

12. Nov 3, 2014 #11

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The time is still early in the school year. Maybe you can improve in Algebra 1 as you study your current Algebra 2 course. The "2" course is a continuation of the "1" course, although some of the contents are a review of "1". You WILL use Algebra 1 & 2 knowledge in most of the science and engineering courses you study.

13. Nov 3, 2014 #12
    Thanks for the useful information symbolipoint

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook