Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Prove a Matrix is Diagonal?

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    I've been stuck on this problem for so long it's getting ridiculous. Please help!

I have a complex matrix, [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex], whose columns are linearly independent. In other words, [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] is either tall or square and [itex] \left( \textbf{A}^H\textbf{A}\right)^{-1}[/itex] exists (where [itex]\left(\right)^H[/itex] denotes conjugate transpose). I am trying to prove that the matrix:

[itex]\textbf{B} \triangleq \left( \textbf{A}^H\textbf{A}\right)[/itex]

must be diagonal, based on the following:

[itex]\textbf{A}= diag(\underline{\lambda})\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H \textbf{A} \textbf{A}^H \textbf{A}[/itex]

for some real diagonal matrix [itex]diag(\underline{\lambda})[/itex]. It may or may not also be useful to note that [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] is also subject to the constraint:

[itex]\underline{diag}(\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) = \underline{1} [/itex]

by which I mean that all the diagonal entries of [itex](\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) [/itex] are equal to 1 (i.e. the Euclidean norms of the rows of [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] are all 1).

I have deduced all sorts of properties of [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex], but strongly believe that it should be possible to show that [itex]\textbf{B}[/itex] is diagonal... but a proof escapes me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I might misunderstand your problem but

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 2\\ 3 & 4\end{array}\right)^H\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 2\\ 3 & 4\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 10 & 14\\ 14 & 20\end{array}\right)[/tex]

This is not diagonal. It IS hermition though (as can easily be proven).

4. Nov 9, 2011 #3
    I'm not sure what the consequences of that are in this context. The matrix you suggested cannot satisfy either of the equations:

[itex]\textbf{A}= diag(\underline{\lambda})\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H \textbf{A} \textbf{A}^H \textbf{A}[/itex]

[itex]\underline{diag}(\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) = \underline{1} [/itex]

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Does this mean that [itex](\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) [/itex] is the identity matrix? :confused:

6. Nov 9, 2011 #5
    It could be any matrix with ones on the diagonal. For example:

[itex]
    (\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) =
    %
    \left[
    \begin{array}{lll}
    1 & 3 & 2 \\
    3 & 1 & 7 \\
    2 & 7 & 1%
    \end{array}%
    \right]

[/itex]

would be suitable in this sense.

7. Nov 9, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Oh, okay, so are the Euclidean norms of the rows of A not 1?

8. Nov 9, 2011 #7
    Yes, the Euclidean norms of the rows are 1.

Consider, for example:

[itex]
    \textbf{A}=\left[
    \begin{array}{ll}
    1 & 0 \\
    1 & 0 \\
    0 & 1%
    \end{array}%
    \right] ,\quad \underline{\lambda }=\left[
    \begin{array}{l}
    0.25 \\
    0.25 \\
    1%
    \end{array}%
    \right]

[/itex]

The norms of all rows of [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] are equal to one, but [itex]\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H[/itex] is not the identity matrix:

[itex]
    \textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H=\left[
    \begin{array}{lll}
    1 & 1 & 0 \\
    1 & 1 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1%
    \end{array}%
    \right]

[/itex]

(but [itex]\textbf{A}^H\textbf{A}[/itex] is diagonal, and I want to show that this must always be true).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook