How to prove Convergence of this Series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Euler2718
Messages
90
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement



Use any appropriate test to determine the convergence or divergence of the following series:

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{2^{i} + 3^{i}}{4^{i}+5^{i}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I've run it through mathematica and it told me it's convergent. However, I can't seem to find the right test to use. Ratio test / Limit comparison doesn't seem to work as nothing cancels, I can't find a test series for direct comparison, and root test wouldn't work? Have I over looked anything?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can start with an asymptotic approach ##\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{2^{i}+3^{i}}{4^{i}+5^{i}}\sim \sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{3^{i}}{5^{i}}##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Euler2718
Morgan Chafe said:

Homework Statement



Use any appropriate test to determine the convergence or divergence of the following series:

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{2^{i} + 3^{i}}{4^{i}+5^{i}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I've run it through mathematica and it told me it's convergent. However, I can't seem to find the right test to use. Ratio test / Limit comparison doesn't seem to work as nothing cancels, I can't find a test series for direct comparison, and root test wouldn't work? Have I over looked anything?
Try comparison test.
Hint: if 0<a<b and 0<c, 0<d, then ##\frac{a+b}{c+d}\leq \frac{2b}{d}##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Euler2718
How about : ## 0<a<b<c<d ## then ##\frac {a+b}{c+d} ##?
 
Ssnow said:
You can start with an asymptotic approach ##\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{2^{i}+3^{i}}{4^{i}+5^{i}}\sim \sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{3^{i}}{5^{i}}##
Samy_A said:
Try comparison test.
Hint: if 0<a<b and 0<c, 0<d, then ##\frac{a+b}{c+d}\leq \frac{2b}{d}##

Alright I think I got it now, thanks.