1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove if 3 arbitrary vectors are coplanar

1. Dec 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let s and t be scalars. show that u, v and su + tv are coplanar.
    u and v are arbitrary vectors,

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, i suppose if they are coplanar, triple scalar product of them should be 0, right? and su+tv is evidently a linear combination of u and v. but i got a little confused when vectors are arbitrary and not really sure how to show it properly. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Try using the triple scalar product and some vector algebra to reduce the expression.

4. Dec 9, 2015 #3
    ok i already went down that road and got lost, if i had numbers, it would be easier but how can i prove that they are coplanar if all i have is arbitrary vectors?

5. Dec 9, 2015 #4

Mark44

Here's how I would do it:
    1. Calculate n = u X v. (I'm assuming that u and v are vectors in R3)
    2. Show that ##n \cdot (su + tv) = 0##.

Geometrically, for all real values of s and t, su + tv defines the plane that u and v lie in.

6. Dec 9, 2015 #5
    That is the general idea, yes but still, how to calculate n=u X v when i do not even have numbers, i think i'm missing your point here, can you be just a little more specific? i tried defining the vectors as u=(u1,u2,u3) and v=(v1,v2,v3) and then calculating the triple scalar product. it got me nothing.

7. Dec 9, 2015 #6

Mark44

Using the coordinates of u and v, as you show above, what do you get for u x v? You know how to calculate a cross product, right?

Once you get that, show that ##n \cdot (su + tv) = 0##. I don't think you need to use a scalar triple product.

8. Dec 9, 2015 #7

jedishrfu

U x V . ( sU + tV) = U x V . sU + U x V . tV

Using some more vector identities you can demonstrate that the expression evaluates to zero hence sU + tV is what?

9. Dec 9, 2015 #8
    even if i dont use triple scalar product and do what you suggest, i'd still have to calculate cross product (which i know how to do it), correct me if i'm wrong but;

u X v= det |(i,j,k),(u1,u2,u3),(v1,v2,v3)| right? that gives you a gigantic equation of nothing when calculated, which cannot be simplified or arranged, let alone taking the product of it with another arbitrary (su+tv).

10. Dec 9, 2015 #9
    again, i cannot calculate the cross product of two arbitrary vectors in r3. it becomes a giant vector equation which is non-arrangeable. cross product seems like a dead end.

11. Dec 9, 2015 #10

Mark44

It gives you a vector expression with six terms, so it's a gross exaggeration to call it a "gigantic equation." Instead of dreaming up reasons why you can't do this, why don't you put some effort into actually trying to work the problem?
    When you calculate ##n \cdot (su + tv)## all of the terms drop out, which is what you want to happen.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  12. Dec 11, 2015 #11
    Maybe you know that uxv is ortogonal to u hence you could deduce u. (uxv) ?

13. Dec 11, 2015 #12

Mark44

I don't see how that gets the OP closer to showing that u, v and su + tv are coplanar.

14. Dec 12, 2015 #13

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@cptcook: You don't need to mess with components. The above posts have shown the way. You yourself noted you just need to show the triple scalar product ##u\times v \cdot(su+tv)=0##. Post #11 reminds you that ##u \times v## is perpendicular to both ##u## and ##v##. Post # 7 shows you how to expand ##u\times v \cdot(su+tv)##. You should be able to see why that is zero without expanding by components.

15. Dec 13, 2015 #14
    This is a bit too easy : you could use the definition of the plane spanned by u and v

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted