How to prove if 3 arbitrary vectors are coplanar

• Thread starter cptcook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
You don't need to mess with components. The above posts have shown the way. You yourself noted you just need to show the triple scalar product ##u\times v \cdot(su+tv)=0##. Post #11 reminds you that ##u \times v## is perpendicular to both ##u## and ##v##. Post # 7 shows you how to expand ##u\times v \cdot(su+tv)##. You should be able to see why that is zero without expanding by...well, by seeing why it is zero.In summary, to show that u, v and su + tv are coplanar, we can use the triple
cptcook

Homework Statement

Let s and t be scalars. show that u, v and su + tv are coplanar.
u and v are arbitrary vectors,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i suppose if they are coplanar, triple scalar product of them should be 0, right? and su+tv is evidently a linear combination of u and v. but i got a little confused when vectors are arbitrary and not really sure how to show it properly. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the triple scalar product and some vector algebra to reduce the expression.

jedishrfu said:
Try using the triple scalar product and some vector algebra to reduce the expression.
ok i already went down that road and got lost, if i had numbers, it would be easier but how can i prove that they are coplanar if all i have is arbitrary vectors?

cptcook said:

Homework Statement

Let s and t be scalars. show that u, v and su + tv are coplanar.
u and v are arbitrary vectors,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i suppose if they are coplanar, triple scalar product of them should be 0, right? and su+tv is evidently a linear combination of u and v. but i got a little confused when vectors are arbitrary and not really sure how to show it properly. any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Here's how I would do it:
1. Calculate n = u X v. (I'm assuming that u and v are vectors in R3)
2. Show that ##n \cdot (su + tv) = 0##.

Geometrically, for all real values of s and t, su + tv defines the plane that u and v lie in.

Likes jedishrfu
Mark44 said:
Here's how I would do it:
1. Calculate n = u X v. (I'm assuming that u and v are vectors in R3)
2. Show that ##n \cdot (su + tv) = 0##.

Geometrically, for all real values of s and t, su + tv defines the plane that u and v lie in.

That is the general idea, yes but still, how to calculate n=u X v when i do not even have numbers, i think I'm missing your point here, can you be just a little more specific? i tried defining the vectors as u=(u1,u2,u3) and v=(v1,v2,v3) and then calculating the triple scalar product. it got me nothing.

cptcook said:
That is the general idea, yes but still, how to calculate n=u X v when i do not even have numbers, i think I'm missing your point here, can you be just a little more specific? i tried defining the vectors as u=(u1,u2,u3) and v=(v1,v2,v3) and then calculating the triple scalar product. it got me nothing.
Using the coordinates of u and v, as you show above, what do you get for u x v? You know how to calculate a cross product, right?

Once you get that, show that ##n \cdot (su + tv) = 0##. I don't think you need to use a scalar triple product.

U x V . ( sU + tV) = U x V . sU + U x V . tV

Using some more vector identities you can demonstrate that the expression evaluates to zero hence sU + tV is what?

Mark44 said:
Using the coordinates of u and v, as you show above, what do you get for u x v? You know how to calculate a cross product, right?

Once you get that, show that ##n \cdot (su + tv) = 0##. I don't think you need to use a scalar triple product.

even if i don't use triple scalar product and do what you suggest, i'd still have to calculate cross product (which i know how to do it), correct me if I'm wrong but;

u X v= det |(i,j,k),(u1,u2,u3),(v1,v2,v3)| right? that gives you a gigantic equation of nothing when calculated, which cannot be simplified or arranged, let alone taking the product of it with another arbitrary (su+tv).

jedishrfu said:
U x V . ( sU + tV) = U x V . sU + U x V . tV

Using some more vector identities you can demonstrate that the expression evaluates to zero hence sU + tV is what?

again, i cannot calculate the cross product of two arbitrary vectors in r3. it becomes a giant vector equation which is non-arrangeable. cross product seems like a dead end.

cptcook said:
even if i don't use triple scalar product and do what you suggest, i'd still have to calculate cross product (which i know how to do it), correct me if I'm wrong but;

u X v= det |(i,j,k),(u1,u2,u3),(v1,v2,v3)| right? that gives you a gigantic equation of nothing when calculated, which cannot be simplified or arranged, let alone taking the product of it with another arbitrary (su+tv).
It gives you a vector expression with six terms, so it's a gross exaggeration to call it a "gigantic equation." Instead of dreaming up reasons why you can't do this, why don't you put some effort into actually trying to work the problem?
cptcook said:
again, i cannot calculate the cross product of two arbitrary vectors in r3. it becomes a giant vector equation which is non-arrangeable. cross product seems like a dead end.
When you calculate ##n \cdot (su + tv)## all of the terms drop out, which is what you want to happen.

Last edited:
Maybe you know that uxv is ortogonal to u hence you could deduce u. (uxv) ?

jk22 said:
Maybe you know that uxv is ortogonal to u hence you could deduce u. (uxv) ?
I don't see how that gets the OP closer to showing that u, v and su + tv are coplanar.

@cptcook: You don't need to mess with components. The above posts have shown the way. You yourself noted you just need to show the triple scalar product ##u\times v \cdot(su+tv)=0##. Post #11 reminds you that ##u \times v## is perpendicular to both ##u## and ##v##. Post # 7 shows you how to expand ##u\times v \cdot(su+tv)##. You should be able to see why that is zero without expanding by components.

This is a bit too easy : you could use the definition of the plane spanned by u and v

1. How do you define coplanarity of vectors?

Coplanarity of vectors refers to the property of three or more vectors being located in the same plane. This means that the vectors lie on a two-dimensional surface and can be represented by a single plane.

2. What is the mathematical test for determining coplanarity of vectors?

The mathematical test for determining coplanarity of vectors is to check if the cross product of any two of the vectors is equal to the dot product of the third vector with the cross product of the first two. If this condition is satisfied, then the vectors are coplanar.

3. Can three non-coplanar vectors ever be coplanar?

No, three non-coplanar vectors can never be coplanar. If three vectors are not coplanar, it means they do not lie on the same plane and therefore, it is impossible for them to be coplanar.

4. What is the minimum number of vectors needed to determine coplanarity?

The minimum number of vectors needed to determine coplanarity is three. This is because two vectors can always lie on a single plane, but the addition of a third vector can make them non-coplanar. Therefore, three vectors are necessary to ensure coplanarity.

5. How can I visually determine coplanarity of vectors?

To visually determine coplanarity of vectors, you can plot the vectors on a graph and see if they lie on the same plane. Another way is to use a transparent sheet and place it over the vectors to see if they align on a single plane. If the vectors do not intersect or lie on different planes, then they are coplanar.