Triple Product of Vectors: Coplanar or Collinear? Understanding the Result

• Thread starter Valenti
  • Start date
In summary: The three vectors are independent (span 3 dimensions) if you can not combine one of them from the other two, that is, a linear combination can be zero, au +bv +cw =0 only when all coefficients a, b, c, are zero. You get a non-zero solution only when the vectors are dependent, span a plane. Arranging the vector components so as they form the rows of a determinant, the value of the determinant is zero if and only if one row can be combined from the other two....mean for the given vectors?Independent vectors means they can be combined to yield a non-zero result.
Valenti
Like the title says I'm not sure when the result is coplanar or collinear

Homework Statement

Are the following vectors in triple product coplanar or collinear?
u = i + 5j -2k
v= 3i - J
w= 5i + 9j - 4k

Homework Equations

Cross product - place into a 3x3 matrix grid

The Attempt at a Solution

lateximg.png
[/B]
After placing them into a 3x3 grid the result is 0. Now I'm not sure if this means they are coplanar or collinear.

Physics news on Phys.org
Valenti said:

Homework Statement

u = i + 5j -2k
v= 3i - J
w= 5i + 9j - 4k

Homework Equations

lateximg.png
[/B]
After placing them into a 3x3 grid the result is 0. Now I'm not sure if this means they are coplanar or collinear.
Does the set of vectors span a line or a plane?

Student100 said:
Does the set of vectors span a line or a plane?
Not sure honestly, I changed the question around for my own use, but in the original question it says to verify why it is coplanar, so id assume it to span across a plane

Valenti said:
Not sure honestly, I changed the question around for my own use, but in the original question it says to verify why it is coplanar, so id assume it to span across a plane

Load the vectors into a matrix and row reduce, then look at how you can write the result as a linear combination. That should be a good give away to whether you're dealing with a line or a plane.

Student100 said:
Load the vectors into a matrix and row reduce, then look at how you can write the result as a linear combination. That should be a good give away to whether you're dealing with a line or a plane.
Seems I may be missing something, i still can't tell when its a plane or line

Valenti said:

Go ahead and row reduce the above, what's a basis for the subspace? How can you graphically represent the subspace?

If what I'm saying sounds like gibberish, then by taking the scalar triple product and obtaining a result of zero let's you know the signed area of the parallelepiped is zero, thus the vectors are coplanar. You didn't do that correctly in the above, however.

It also can be misleading, as collinear subspaces are coplanar, but coplanar subspaces aren't always collinear. The geometric approach of finding a basis for the subspace spanned by the vectors is a better approach to the question as posed.

I'm also tired, so maybe I'm not doing a good job here articulating my thoughts.

Valenti said:

Homework Statement

u = i + 5j -2k
v= 3i - J
w= 5i + 9j - 4k

Homework Equations

lateximg.png
[/B]
This is the "determinant", not just a "3x3 grid"!

Valenti said:
Go back to the definitions. Two vectors are collinear when they have the same direction, only the magnitudes differ. You get one vector with multiplying the other vector with a scalar. Is any of the given vectors u, v, w, a multiple of an other one?
Three vectors are co-planar if they are in the same plane. A plane has two dimensions, so two independent vectors. The third one is linear combination of the other two:
w=a u+b v. Write out this equation in components. Can you solve it?
The three vectors are independent (span 3 dimensions) if you can not combine one of them from the other two, that is, a linear combination can be zero, au +bv +cw =0 only when all coefficients a, b, c, are zero. You get a non-zero solution only when the vectors are dependent, span a plane. Arranging the vector components so as they form the rows of a determinant, the value of the determinant is zero if and only if one row can be combined from the other two. You calculated the determinant and got zero. So are u,v,w dependent or independent vectors?

Likes gracy
Here's a helpful hint that may help you. The determinant
$$\begin{vmatrix}
1&5&-2 \\
3&-1&0 \\
5&9&-4
\end{vmatrix}
= \begin{vmatrix}
u_x&u_y&u_z \\
v_x&v_y&v_z \\
w_x&w_y&w_z
\end{vmatrix}$$
may be rewritten as
$$\begin{vmatrix}
u_x&u_y&u_z \\
v_x&v_y&v_z \\
w_x&w_y&w_z
\end{vmatrix} = \vec u \cdot ( ~ \vec v \times \vec w~ )$$
You have already figured out the determinant is zero. What does this mean?

1. What is the difference between coplanar and collinear?

Coplanar refers to points or objects that lie in the same plane, whereas collinear refers to points or objects that lie on the same line.

2. Are all coplanar points also collinear?

No, not all coplanar points are collinear. Coplanar points can lie in the same plane, but they do not necessarily have to be on the same line.

3. Can coplanar lines be parallel?

Yes, coplanar lines can be parallel. As long as they lie in the same plane and do not intersect, they can be considered parallel.

4. How can I determine if a set of points is coplanar or collinear?

To determine if a set of points is coplanar, you can see if they can all be contained within a single plane. To determine if they are collinear, you can check if they all lie on the same line.

5. What are some real-life examples of coplanar and collinear objects?

Some examples of coplanar objects are the vertices of a square, the corners of a cube, or the points on a flat piece of paper. Some examples of collinear objects are the points on a ruler, the stops on a train track, or the pins in a bowling alley.