How to Prove Isometries are Surjective on Compact Metric Spaces

  • Thread starter Thread starter minibear
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Isometry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
minibear
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let (K, d) and (K', d') be two compact metric spaces and let f:K-->K' and g:K'--->K be isometries. Show that f(K)=K' and g(K')=K



Homework Equations


n/a

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that isometry implies that I can find one-to-one correspondence mapping, but not sure how to show both function and inverse function are subjective. Please help. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
minibear said:

Homework Statement



Let (K, d) and (K', d') be two compact metric spaces and let f:K-->K' and g:K'--->K be isometries. Show that f(K)=K' and g(K')=K

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that isometry implies that I can find one-to-one correspondence mapping, but not sure how to show both function and inverse function are subjective. Please help. Thanks!
I can't follow your attempt: we are not looking to 'find' a map. Could you please write out your work in full. It also helps to write out the definitions of the key terms: e.g., isometry, compact.

Are you aware of the theorem which says that an isometry [tex]h:X\to X[/tex] on a compact metric space X is surjective?

If so, the result you want to show is just a corollary of this. If not, then this is a good statement to prove.