How to prove rational number is a commutative field

In summary, to prove that rational numbers form a commutative field, one must check the field axioms including associativity and commutativity of addition and multiplication, existence of identities and inverses, and distributivity. An example was given for proving commutativity of addition and the student was advised to prove the other axioms as well.
colstat
I was wondering how to prove rational number is a commutative field.

Personally, I didn't think the word "commutative" is necessary, how about others?

Do I simply prove it is commutative under multiplication?

Physics news on Phys.org
colstat said:
I was wondering how to prove rational number is a commutative field.

Personally, I didn't think the word "commutative" is necessary, how about others?

Do I simply prove it is commutative under multiplication?

You'll need to check the field axioms. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics)

That is, you need to check

• Associativity of addition and multiplication
  • Commutativity of addition and multiplication
  • Existence of the additive and multiplicative identities
  • Existence of the additive and multiplicative inverses for each nonzero element
  • Distributivity

So;, which one is troubling you??

Hey, micromass. How do I check field axioms?
Do I say a and b belongs to rational numbers and go through the axiom?

OK, let me do an example. Let me check commutativity of addition. Take two fraction a/b and c/d. We must prove that

[tex]\frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{d}=\frac{c}{d}+\frac{a}{b}[/tex]

Indeed:

[tex]\frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{d}=\frac{ad+bc}{bd}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{c}{d}+\frac{a}{b}=\frac{bc+ad}{db}[/tex]

because addition and multiplications in the integers is commutative, we got that the two right-hand sides above are equal. Thus the left-hand-sides are also equal. Thus addition is commutative.

Can you prove all the other ones?

Thanks so much, I think I got it, that was very helpful! :)

1. What is a rational number?

A rational number is any number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not zero. This includes all integers, fractions, and terminating or repeating decimals.

2. What is a commutative field?

A commutative field is a mathematical structure that satisfies both the commutative and associative properties of addition and multiplication. This means that the order in which operations are performed does not affect the result, and that the operations are always well-defined and consistent.

3. How do you prove that a rational number is a commutative field?

To prove that a rational number is a commutative field, we must show that it satisfies all of the necessary properties. This includes closure under addition and multiplication, existence of additive and multiplicative identities, existence of additive and multiplicative inverses, and the commutative and associative properties of addition and multiplication.

4. Can you provide an example of a rational number that is not a commutative field?

No, all rational numbers are commutative fields. This is because the properties of a commutative field are inherent to the definition of a rational number. Any number that does not satisfy these properties cannot be considered a rational number.

5. Why is it important to prove that a rational number is a commutative field?

Proving that a rational number is a commutative field ensures that all of the necessary properties are satisfied, which allows us to perform operations and make calculations with confidence. It also allows us to extend our understanding of rational numbers to more complex mathematical concepts and applications.