How to prove rational sequence converges to irrational number

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving solving for x in an equation and the potential use of inequality signs to solve it. The possible value of x is determined to be (1 ± √2)/2, and there are open questions about the sequence and its convergence. It is also suggested to show directly that the difference between x_n and (1 + √2)/2 is strictly decreasing for certain initial values of x.
potatocake
Homework Statement
Construct (with a proof) a rational sequence xn that converges 1+sqrt(2)/2
Relevant Equations
x0 = 5/4
f(x) = 1 + 1/4x
xn = f(xn-1) for n = 1,2,....
I attempted to solve it

$$ x = \frac {1}{4x} + 1 $$
$$⇒ x^2 -x -\frac{1}{4} = 0 $$
$$⇒ x = \frac{1±\sqrt2}{2} $$

However, I don't know the next step for the proof.
Do I need a closed-form of xn+1or do I just need to set the limit of xn and use inequality to solve it?

If I have to use the inequality sign, how can I set the interval of xn?

Attachments

• Q.PNG
    Q.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 131
Physics news on Phys.org
Given what you've written down, you should be able to conclude that if ##x_n## converges, it converges to
$$ \frac{1\pm \sqrt{2}}{2}.$$

This leaves some open questions
1.) Does your sequence consist of rational numbers?
2.) Does your sequence converge?
3.) Which root does it converge to?

It is obvious that if [itex]x_n > 0[/itex] then [itex]x_{n+1} > 1 > 0[/itex].

You can also show directly that [tex]\left| x_{n+1} - \frac{1 + \sqrt{2}}{2}\right|
= \left|\frac{1 - \sqrt{2}}{2x_n}\right|\left|x_n - \frac{1 + \sqrt{2}}{2}\right|[/tex] and hence that [itex]|x_n - (1 + \sqrt{2})/2|[/itex] is strictly decreasing for appropriate choices of [itex]x_0[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes docnet

1. What is a rational sequence?

A rational sequence is a sequence of numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. For example, 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4 are all rational numbers.

2. How do you prove that a rational sequence converges to an irrational number?

To prove that a rational sequence converges to an irrational number, you must show that the sequence approaches the irrational number as its limit. This can be done by using the definition of a limit and showing that the difference between the terms of the sequence and the irrational number approaches 0 as the number of terms in the sequence increases.

3. Can a rational sequence converge to a rational number?

Yes, a rational sequence can converge to a rational number. For example, the sequence 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, ... converges to the rational number 1.

4. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. Examples of irrational numbers include pi (3.14159...), the square root of 2 (1.41421...), and the golden ratio (1.61803...).

5. What is the importance of proving that a rational sequence converges to an irrational number?

Proving that a rational sequence converges to an irrational number is important because it helps us understand the relationship between rational and irrational numbers. It also allows us to make precise calculations and predictions in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.