1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of a rational number and an irrational number ...

1. Jul 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying without success to provide a rigorous proof for the following exercise:

Show that the sum of a rational number and an irrational number is irrational.

2. Relevant equations

I am working from the following books:

Ethan D. Bloch: The Real Numbers and Real Analysis

and

Derek Goldrei: Classic Set Theory

Both use a Dedekind Cut approach to the construction of the real numbers (but Goldrei also uses Cauchy Sequences ... )

I am taking the definition of an irrational number as equivalent to an irrational cut as defined by Bloch as follows:

?temp_hash=cee404bddcc16a3ee55c431470ff5b05.png

Bloch's definition of a Dedekind Cut plus a Lemma indicating the that there are at least as many of them as there are rational numbers are relevant ... and read as follows:

?temp_hash=cee404bddcc16a3ee55c431470ff5b05.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been unable to make a meaningful start on this problem ...

Peter

*** EDIT ***

Reflecting on this problem ... it has become apparent to me that Bloch's definition of the addition of real numbers (in terms of Dedekind Cuts is relevant ... so I am providing the relevant definition ... as follows:

?temp_hash=5e153c4d3963047e0f6ee5c2aa26e760.png

The note preceding the above definition mentions Lemma 1.6.8 which reads as follows:

?temp_hash=5e153c4d3963047e0f6ee5c2aa26e760.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2017 #2
    After reflecting on this problem ... I now think that the answer to the exercise above may be disappointingly trivial ...

Consider the following:

Let ##a \in## ##\mathbb{Q}## and let ##b \in \mathbb{R}## \ ##\mathbb{Q}##

Then suppose a + b = r

Now ... assume r is rational

Then b = r - a ...

But since r and a are rational ... we have r - a is rational ..

Then ... we have that an irrational number b is equal to a rational number ...

Contradiction!

So ... r is irrational ..

Is that correct?

Peter

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  4. Jul 30, 2017 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted