Sum of a rational number and an irrational number ....

In summary, the exercise is to show that the sum of a rational number and an irrational number is irrational. The definition of an irrational number used is equivalent to an irrational cut as defined by Bloch, and the definition of addition of real numbers in terms of Dedekind cuts is relevant. The solution involves assuming that the sum is rational and deriving a contradiction. The solution is correct.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

I am trying without success to provide a rigorous proof for the following exercise:

Show that the sum of a rational number and an irrational number is irrational.

Homework Equations

I am working from the following books:

Ethan D. Bloch: The Real Numbers and Real Analysis

and

Derek Goldrei: Classic Set Theory

Both use a Dedekind Cut approach to the construction of the real numbers (but Goldrei also uses Cauchy Sequences ... )

I am taking the definition of an irrational number as equivalent to an irrational cut as defined by Bloch as follows:

?temp_hash=cee404bddcc16a3ee55c431470ff5b05.png

Bloch's definition of a Dedekind Cut plus a Lemma indicating the that there are at least as many of them as there are rational numbers are relevant ... and read as follows:

?temp_hash=cee404bddcc16a3ee55c431470ff5b05.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been unable to make a meaningful start on this problem ...Peter*** EDIT ***

Reflecting on this problem ... it has become apparent to me that Bloch's definition of the addition of real numbers (in terms of Dedekind Cuts is relevant ... so I am providing the relevant definition ... as follows:

?temp_hash=5e153c4d3963047e0f6ee5c2aa26e760.png
The note preceding the above definition mentions Lemma 1.6.8 which reads as follows:

?temp_hash=5e153c4d3963047e0f6ee5c2aa26e760.png

Attachments

• Bloch - Irrational Cut ....png
    Bloch - Irrational Cut ....png
    8.1 KB · Views: 474
  • Bloch - Dedekind Cut ... plus Lemma ....png
    Bloch - Dedekind Cut ... plus Lemma ....png
    20.7 KB · Views: 712
  • Bloch - Defn 1.7.3 ... ....png
    Bloch - Defn 1.7.3 ... ....png
    14.7 KB · Views: 534
  • Bloch - Lemma 1.6.8 ... ....png
    Bloch - Lemma 1.6.8 ... ....png
    18.7 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After reflecting on this problem ... I now think that the answer to the exercise above may be disappointingly trivial ...

Consider the following:

Let ##a \in## ##\mathbb{Q}## and let ##b \in \mathbb{R}## \ ##\mathbb{Q}##

Then suppose a + b = r

Now ... assume r is rational

Then b = r - a ...

But since r and a are rational ... we have r - a is rational ..

Then ... we have that an irrational number b is equal to a rational number ...

Contradiction!

So ... r is irrational ..
Is that correct?

Peter

Last edited:
Likes scottdave and fresh_42
Math Amateur said:
Is that correct?
Yes.

Likes Math Amateur

1. What is a rational number?

A rational number is a number that can be expressed as a fraction or ratio of two integers. This includes both positive and negative numbers, as well as zero.

2. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a fraction or ratio of two integers. These numbers have non-terminating and non-repeating decimal representations.

3. What is the sum of a rational and an irrational number?

The sum of a rational and an irrational number is always an irrational number. This is because adding an irrational number to any rational number will result in a non-repeating and non-terminating decimal representation.

4. Can the sum of a rational and an irrational number be simplified?

No, the sum of a rational and an irrational number cannot be simplified into a single rational or irrational number. It will always remain an irrational number.

5. How can the sum of a rational and an irrational number be represented graphically?

The sum of a rational and an irrational number can be represented on a number line, with the irrational number being plotted as a non-terminating and non-repeating decimal point and the rational number as a fraction or whole number. The sum will be located on the number line between these two points.