How to prove the curl curl of a vector?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter shedrick94
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curl Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
shedrick94
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
I've got ∇×(∇×R)=∇(∇.R)-∇2R [call it eq.1]

However I have the identity ∇×(A×B)=A(∇.B)-B(∇⋅A)+ (B⋅∇)A-(A⋅∇)B [call it eq.2]

Substituting in A=∇ and R=B into eq.2 we get ∇×(∇×R)=∇(∇.R)-R(∇⋅∇)+ (R⋅∇)∇-(∇⋅∇)R

which i work out to be ∇×(∇×R)=∇(∇.R)-R(∇⋅∇)+ (R⋅∇)∇-∇2R

Basically I don't understand what happens to the two terms -R(∇⋅∇)+ (R⋅∇)∇ from eq.2 when we get to eq.1, why do they disappear?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
shedrick94 said:
Substituting in A=∇
Can't be done:$$ \vec A \times \vec B = - \vec B \times \vec A $$ but $$ \vec \nabla \times \vec A \ne - \vec A \times \vec \nabla $$the left hand side is a vector, the righthand side an operation
 
The disappearing terms are differential operators. As long as they don't act on anything, they will be zero.
 
DrDu said:
The disappearing terms are differential operators. As long as they don't act on anything, they will be zero.
Why is this though?
 
basically then you might put a factor 1 behind the expression and ##\nabla 1=0##, but as I indicated in #2, the equals sign doesn't hold, just like ##{\delta f\over \delta x }\ne f{\delta 1\over x} = 0##