Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How to prove the curl curl of a vector?

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    I've got ∇×(∇×R)=∇(∇.R)-∇2R [call it eq.1]

However I have the identity ∇×(A×B)=A(∇.B)-B(∇⋅A)+ (B⋅∇)A-(A⋅∇)B [call it eq.2]

Substituting in A=∇ and R=B into eq.2 we get ∇×(∇×R)=∇(∇.R)-R(∇⋅∇)+ (R⋅∇)∇-(∇⋅∇)R

which i work out to be ∇×(∇×R)=∇(∇.R)-R(∇⋅∇)+ (R⋅∇)∇-∇2R

Basically I don't understand what happens to the two terms -R(∇⋅∇)+ (R⋅∇)∇ from eq.2 when we get to eq.1, why do they disappear?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can't be done:$$ \vec A \times \vec B = - \vec B \times \vec A $$ but $$ \vec \nabla \times \vec A \ne - \vec A \times \vec \nabla $$the left hand side is a vector, the righthand side an operation

4. Mar 25, 2016 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

The disappearing terms are differential operators. As long as they don't act on anything, they will be zero.

5. Mar 25, 2016 #4

Why is this though?

6. Mar 28, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

basically then you might put a factor 1 behind the expression and ##\nabla 1=0##, but as I indicated in #2, the equals sign doesn't hold, just like ##{\delta f\over \delta x }\ne f{\delta 1\over x} = 0##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted