How to find the equivalent resistance of this infinite circuit?

zenterix
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: I am following the course 6.002 "Circuit and Electronics" on MIT OCW. There are no solutions to the problem sets. I would like to check my solution to one particular problem.

We are asked to find the equivalent resistance of the network

1695598655023.png

as viewed from its ports.

I simplified the network as

1695598932640.png

Where ##R_{eq}## is not only the equivalent resistance of the branch shown above, it is also the equivalent resistance of the entire network shown above (because the network shown above repeats itself infinitely).

Then

$$R_{eq}=R+\frac{R_{eq}R}{R+R_{eq}}$$

$$R_{eq}(R+R_{eq})=R(R+R_{eq})+RR_{eq}$$

$$R_{eq}^2=R^2+RR_{eq}$$

$$R_{eq}^2-RR_{eq}-R^2=0$$

$$\Delta = R^2+4R^2=5R^2$$

$$R_{eq}=\frac{R\pm R\sqrt{5}}{2}$$

$$=R\frac{1\pm\sqrt{5}}{2}$$

Is this result correct?

Here is the problem set in full if it is useful.

Likes Babadag
Physics news on Phys.org
zenterix said:
TL;DR Summary: I am following the course 6.002 "Circuit and Electronics" on MIT OCW. There are no solutions to the problem sets. I would like to check my solution to one particular problem.

We are asked to find the equivalent resistance of the network

View attachment 332529
as viewed from its ports.

I simplified the network as

View attachment 332530
Where ##R_{eq}## is not only the equivalent resistance of the branch shown above, it is also the equivalent resistance of the entire network shown above (because the network shown above repeats itself infinitely).Here is the problem set in full if it is useful.
Seems like a clear approach. If your algebra is correct I'd say you have it correct.

##R=\frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2}## certainly isn't correct.

Have you checked your own work? How would you use that (positive) value to check?

Your approach is fine. I think the circuit you want is the one shown below in which the resistance between points A and B is to be found is clearer about what you are replacing with what in view of the drawing provided by the problem.

InfiniteLadder.png

Likes Steve4Physics
Note that: (1±√5)/2 ; is the golden ratio, or its reciprocal.

An infinite ladder can be written as an infinite recurring continued fraction, and solved in the same equivalent way.

Likes DaveE
Babadag said:
According to (Endreny 1967)

Endrenyi, J., “Analysis of transmission tower potentials during ground faults" for a transmission line R1∞=R/2+sqrt(R^2+R^2/4)
If not already clear, note that "R/2+sqrt(R^2+R^2/4)" simplifies to ##R \frac {1+\sqrt 5}2##.

Likes Babadag
The second addend in the expression ## R _ { eq } = R \frac { 1 } { 2 } + ( \pm R \frac { \sqrt 5 } { 2 } ) ## is resistance and must be positive. This is why ## R _ { eq } = R \frac { 1 + \sqrt 5 } { 2 } ## is the only acceptable solution.

1. What is the purpose of finding the equivalent resistance of an infinite circuit?

Finding the equivalent resistance allows us to simplify a complex circuit into a single resistor, making it easier to analyze and understand the circuit's behavior.

2. How do you determine the equivalent resistance of an infinite circuit?

The equivalent resistance can be found using the parallel and series resistance formulas, as well as applying the concept of equivalent resistance for infinite circuits.

3. Can the equivalent resistance of an infinite circuit be less than the resistance of any individual resistor in the circuit?

Yes, it is possible for the equivalent resistance to be less than the resistance of any individual resistor in the circuit. This can occur when the circuit has a specific pattern of resistors, such as a fractal or self-similar structure.

4. Is it necessary to consider the resistance of each individual resistor in an infinite circuit when finding the equivalent resistance?

No, it is not necessary to consider the resistance of each individual resistor in an infinite circuit. Instead, we can use mathematical techniques to simplify the circuit and determine the equivalent resistance without having to calculate each individual resistance.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the equivalent resistance of an infinite circuit?

Yes, there are limitations to finding the equivalent resistance of an infinite circuit. The circuit must have a specific structure or pattern in order for the concept of equivalent resistance to be applicable. Additionally, the circuit must have a finite resistance value for the concept to be useful.