How to prove the curl curl of a vector?

• I
  • Thread starter shedrick94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl Vector
In summary, when substituting A=∇ and R=B into the identity ∇×(A×B)=A(∇.B)-B(∇⋅A)+ (B⋅∇)A-(A⋅∇)B, the terms -R(∇⋅∇) and (R⋅∇)∇ disappear because they are differential operators and they will be zero when they don't act on anything.
shedrick94
I've got ∇×(∇×R)=∇(∇.R)-∇2R [call it eq.1]

However I have the identity ∇×(A×B)=A(∇.B)-B(∇⋅A)+ (B⋅∇)A-(A⋅∇)B [call it eq.2]

Substituting in A=∇ and R=B into eq.2 we get ∇×(∇×R)=∇(∇.R)-R(∇⋅∇)+ (R⋅∇)∇-(∇⋅∇)R

which i work out to be ∇×(∇×R)=∇(∇.R)-R(∇⋅∇)+ (R⋅∇)∇-∇2R

Basically I don't understand what happens to the two terms -R(∇⋅∇)+ (R⋅∇)∇ from eq.2 when we get to eq.1, why do they disappear?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
shedrick94 said:
Substituting in A=∇
Can't be done:$$ \vec A \times \vec B = - \vec B \times \vec A $$ but $$ \vec \nabla \times \vec A \ne - \vec A \times \vec \nabla $$the left hand side is a vector, the righthand side an operation

The disappearing terms are differential operators. As long as they don't act on anything, they will be zero.

DrDu said:
The disappearing terms are differential operators. As long as they don't act on anything, they will be zero.
Why is this though?

basically then you might put a factor 1 behind the expression and ##\nabla 1=0##, but as I indicated in #2, the equals sign doesn't hold, just like ##{\delta f\over \delta x }\ne f{\delta 1\over x} = 0##

What is the curl of a vector?

The curl of a vector is a mathematical operation that describes the rotation or "curling" of a vector field. It is a vector quantity that represents the tendency of the vector field to rotate around a specific point.

Why is it important to prove the curl of a vector?

Proving the curl of a vector is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of a vector field. It is also a fundamental concept in vector calculus and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid mechanics.

What is the mathematical formula for calculating the curl of a vector?

The mathematical formula for calculating the curl of a vector is given by:
∇ × F = ( ∂Fz/∂y - ∂Fy/∂z ) i + ( ∂Fx/∂z - ∂Fz/∂x ) j + ( ∂Fy/∂x - ∂Fx/∂y ) k
where F is the vector field and ∇ is the del operator.

How do you prove the curl of a vector using the mathematical formula?

To prove the curl of a vector using the mathematical formula, you need to calculate the partial derivatives of the vector field in each direction (x, y, z) and substitute them into the formula. If the resulting vector is equal to the curl of the vector field, then it is proven.

What are some real-life applications of proving the curl of a vector?

Proving the curl of a vector is used in various real-life applications such as predicting weather patterns, understanding fluid dynamics, and designing efficient electrical circuits. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to simulate realistic movements and effects.