1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove this derivative problem

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    Given that

[itex]\xi = x + y[/itex] and [itex]\eta = x - y[/itex]

How do I show that:

[itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \xi^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \eta^2}[/itex]

I know that

[itex]\xi^2 + \eta^2 = 2(x^2 + y^2)[/itex] and [itex]\xi^2 - \eta^2 = 4xy[/itex]

But I do not know how to handle these derivatives :(

Sorry about this newbie question.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the chain rule to relate [itex] \partial /\partial x, [/itex] etc, to [itex] \partial/ \partial \xi [/itex] and [itex] \partial / \partial \eta . [/itex]

RGV

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3
    There's a problem.
    Suppose you have [itex]f(\xi, \eta) = \xi ^2 + \eta^2[/itex]

5. Dec 7, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the reply. Could you write me an example or tell me where I can read about this?

I know that dy/dx = dy/du*du/dx
    But I don't know how to apply this in case of d/dx.

6. Dec 7, 2011 #5
    Sorry, I had to finish, but it seems it's not possible to edit your own messages.
    Anyway:

[itex]f(\xi,\eta)=\xi^2+\eta^2[/itex]

This is equal to
    [itex]f(x,y)=2x^2+2y^2[/itex]

Notice that [itex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial\xi^2}+\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial\eta^2}=4[/itex]
    while [itex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2}=8[/itex]

so the thesis doesn't hold, there's something to fix, if I'm not wrong.

7. Dec 7, 2011 #6
    [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial}{\partial \zeta}\frac{\partial \zeta}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial \eta}\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial x}[/itex]

you following (I'm using zeta because I can't remember what that other squiggle is called)

[itex]\frac{\partial \zeta}{\partial x} = 1[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial x} = 1[/itex]

therefore

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial}{\partial \zeta} + \frac{\partial}{\partial \eta}[/itex]

do that again, and do the same for y, you should pick up some negatives on the y side that will cancel out everything and leave you with what you're trying to get

8. Dec 7, 2011 #7
    Thanks for the replies...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook