1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to re-write this expression?

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    Could someone please help me make this expression a little smaller? I'm sure there are things that cancels out or could be re written, but I generally suck at these things as I tend to break a few math rules along the way.
    Could I for instance cancel n against n in the two last cosine expressions so I'm left with -cos∏-cos∏/2 at the end?

Expression is here: http://tinypic.com/r/2lw8047/6

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Absolutely NOT! ##\cos(n \pi)/n## is most definitely not equal to ##\cos(\pi).## Just evaluate ##\cos(n \pi)/n## for ##n = 2, 3, 4## and see what you get.

Vital advice: put out of you mind forever any thought that you can cancel n's in such situations. Never try to cancel the n's in expressions like ##\cos(nx)/n, \; \sin(nx)/n, \: e^{nx}/n, \; \log(nx)/n, ## etc. You just cannot do it.

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To add to what Ray said, you can give expressions for ##\cos (n\pi)## and ##\cos(\frac{n\pi} 2)## that don't involve cosines. Write them out for a few values of ##n## to see a pattern.

5. Mar 12, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must learn to think of sin, cos, etc. as functions.

If y(x) were defined as some function, I don't think you would say that

y(5n)/n was the same as y(5).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted