How to read the PiVi^gamma = PfVf^gamma formula?

  • Thread starter Thread starter daleklama
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
daleklama
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An ideal monatomic gas is held initially at a pressure of 1 atmosphere in a volume of 10L. It is compressed to 4L in an adiabatic process.
There are 0.8 moles.
Find the final pressure of the gas.
gamma = 1.667

Homework Equations



PiVi^gamma = PfVf^gamma

The Attempt at a Solution



I pretty much know what I'm doing, except I'm not sure what the formula means! Does it mean (PiVi)^gamma, or (Pi).(Vi^gamma?)

I always assumed it was the second, but I'm doubting it now. I got a huge answer (10,190 x 10^5 Pascals) and I'm not sure if it's reasonable.

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The way you wrote it, it is (pi)(Vi)^gamma.

Further, the Wikipedia article on "adiabatic processes", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process
says that an adiabatic process gives [itex]PV^{\gamma}= Constant[/itex] so the way you have written it is correct- it is only the volume that is raised to a power.
 
Okay, thank you very much! Thats what I thought it must be :) Great!