1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the volume of the gas after adiabatic compression

1. Feb 16, 2016 #1

grandpa2390

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1 liter of ideal diatomic gas (allow for rotation but not vibration) at a pressure of 1 atmosphere and a temperature of 300 K is compressed adiabatically to a pressure of 7 atm. What is the volume of the gas after compression?

2. Relevant equations
    PV=NKT
    PV=nRT
    ##U_T##=f/2*NKT
    ##PV^gamma## where gamma=##(2+f)/f##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure how to go about this. I tried just saying 1/7 of a liter, but that is not right. Professor gave a hint about the 5 degrees of freedom being important and not to use 6... I must have missed something... The only formula I have involving the degrees of freedom is the one for the Energy and the PV gamma. but I am not sure how to do that. I thought I would try plugging in the pressure and volume and then changing the Pressure... But I thought I couldn't . Now I am thinking I can again...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2

grandpa2390

Gold Member

That's it. I'm sorry. I got blocked because I did not know what PV^gamma was supposed to equal. Then while typing out my question, it dawned on me how stupid I was being. I can just set initial PV^gamma equal to final PV^gamma... I did that and solved for V_final and I got it. It always amazes me how I can sit stumped for hours on a problem. and I'll get it the moment I ask about it. ;)

4. Feb 17, 2016 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You have discovered for yourself the usefulness of the homework template :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted