What is the volume of the gas after adiabatic compression

In summary, a 1 liter of ideal diatomic gas at 1 atm and 300 K is adiabatically compressed to 7 atm. The volume of the gas after compression can be found by setting the initial and final PV^gamma equal to each other and solving for V_final. The number of degrees of freedom is important and should not be 6.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

1 liter of ideal diatomic gas (allow for rotation but not vibration) at a pressure of 1 atmosphere and a temperature of 300 K is compressed adiabatically to a pressure of 7 atm. What is the volume of the gas after compression?

Homework Equations

PV=NKT
PV=nRT
##U_T##=f/2*NKT
##PV^gamma## where gamma=##(2+f)/f##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to go about this. I tried just saying 1/7 of a liter, but that is not right. Professor gave a hint about the 5 degrees of freedom being important and not to use 6... I must have missed something... The only formula I have involving the degrees of freedom is the one for the Energy and the PV gamma. but I am not sure how to do that. I thought I would try plugging in the pressure and volume and then changing the Pressure... But I thought I couldn't . Now I am thinking I can again...

Physics news on Phys.org
That's it. I'm sorry. I got blocked because I did not know what PV^gamma was supposed to equal. Then while typing out my question, it dawned on me how stupid I was being. I can just set initial PV^gamma equal to final PV^gamma... I did that and solved for V_final and I got it. It always amazes me how I can sit stumped for hours on a problem. and I'll get it the moment I ask about it. ;)

grandpa2390 said:
That's it. I'm sorry. I got blocked because I did not know what PV^gamma was supposed to equal. Then while typing out my question, it dawned on me how stupid I was being. I can just set initial PV^gamma equal to final PV^gamma... I did that and solved for V_final and I got it. It always amazes me how I can sit stumped for hours on a problem. and I'll get it the moment I ask about it. ;)
You have discovered for yourself the usefulness of the homework template :smile:

1. What is adiabatic compression?

Adiabatic compression is a process in which a gas is compressed without any heat being added or removed from the system. This results in a change in pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas.

2. How does adiabatic compression affect the volume of a gas?

As the gas is compressed without any heat transfer, the volume decreases while the pressure and temperature increase. This is because the gas molecules become more closely packed together, resulting in a decrease in the space they occupy.

3. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a gas after adiabatic compression?

The formula for calculating the volume of a gas after adiabatic compression is V2 = V1 * (P1/P2)^n, where V1 is the initial volume, V2 is the final volume, P1 is the initial pressure, P2 is the final pressure, and n is the ratio of specific heats of the gas.

4. What are the units of measurement for gas volume after adiabatic compression?

The units of measurement for gas volume after adiabatic compression depend on the units used for initial and final pressure. However, common units include liters (L), cubic meters (m^3), and cubic feet (ft^3).

5. How does the initial temperature of a gas affect its volume after adiabatic compression?

The initial temperature of a gas does not directly affect its volume after adiabatic compression. However, as the gas is compressed, its temperature will increase due to the decrease in volume. This is known as the adiabatic heating effect.