How to recover in a Quantum mechanics course

In summary, the conversation revolved around a student's struggles in a quantum mechanics course, specifically with preparing for exams and finding supplemental materials for understanding the textbook. The student's professor is mathematically focused and the student is seeking advice on how to excel in the course. The conversation also touched on the importance of maintaining stamina and endurance for academic success and the use of other textbooks such as French and Taylor, Peebles, Le Bellac, Shankar, and Zettili for additional resources. The student also expressed uncertainty on how to use these supplemental materials effectively.
jamalkoiyess
Hello PF,

I am currently taking a course on quantum mechanics that is following Griffiths' textbook (page by page). The first exam in the course coincided with two other courses (analysis and probability theory) and so I did lack a bit of training while doing it (the required material was from chap. 1 to 3). I ended up with a D.

I will try to work on a more daily basis from now on. I wanted to know how can i really excel in this course. My professor is mathematically focused and I would like to regain a bit of an average in the upcoming quiz. The class is now starting chap 5 and we finished chap 4 (but i didn't yet read it).

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no specific advice, but much of getting the good grades at the university is simply maintaining the stamina and endurance throughout the quarter or semester. If you have the energy to study some very long hours, and have the extra energy available for the exams, this usually results in some degree of academic success. Finals week was always very much a test in stamina. Perhaps there is an easier way, but that's how I survived.

Likes jamalkoiyess
Read the material before it is discussed in class.

Likes jamalkoiyess
atyy said:
If you are stuck with some explanation in Griffiths, try supplementing your reading with some other books eg. French and Taylor, Peebles, Le Bellac.
I don't know how to supplement my readings. I tried but it always feels weird. Do i do the exercises? Do I just read the material? What if the material needs other prerequisites?

I do have Shankar and Zettili in my possesion for now.

1. How much time will it take to recover in a Quantum mechanics course?

The amount of time it takes for a person to recover in a Quantum mechanics course can vary depending on their previous knowledge and understanding of the subject. However, with consistent practice and dedication, it is possible to see improvements within a few weeks.

2. What are some effective study techniques for recovering in a Quantum mechanics course?

Some effective study techniques for recovering in a Quantum mechanics course include practicing problems regularly, reviewing notes and lecture materials, seeking help from a tutor or professor, and actively participating in discussions and group study sessions.

3. How can I better understand the complex concepts in Quantum mechanics?

One way to better understand complex concepts in Quantum mechanics is to break them down into smaller, more manageable pieces. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or visualize the concepts in order to better comprehend them. Seeking clarification from a professor or fellow students can also aid in understanding difficult topics.

4. What resources are available to help me recover in a Quantum mechanics course?

There are many resources available to help students recover in a Quantum mechanics course, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Additionally, most universities have tutoring services and professors are often willing to provide extra help outside of class.

5. Can I recover from a poor grade in a Quantum mechanics course?

Yes, it is possible to recover from a poor grade in a Quantum mechanics course. It may require extra effort and dedication, but by identifying areas of weakness and seeking help, it is possible to improve and potentially raise your grade. Remember to stay motivated and don't be afraid to ask for assistance when needed.