How to relate to math expressions that don’t have physical representations

• I
  • Thread starter rasp
  • Start date
rasp
TL;DR Summary
I’m wondering how to get comfortable in using math terms in physics equations that do not have physical meanings. I know the formulas work but what are we saying about the terms? For example, I’m thinking of i in quantum wave equation and c^2 in Relativity I mean as c is the highest speed possible, what is c^2. I understand speed ^2 satisfies the dimensions, but how can we employ a number which violates our understanding of the maximum speed?
Thread is contained in the summary.

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
but how can we employ a number which violates our understanding of the maximum speed?

Why do you think c2 is a speed? Is an acre an length?

Likes S.G. Janssens
dsaun777
Summary:: I’m wondering how to get comfortable in using math terms in physics equations that do not have physical meanings. I know the formulas work but what are we saying about the terms? For example, I’m thinking of i in quantum wave equation and c^2 in Relativity I mean as c is the highest speed possible, what is c^2. I understand speed ^2 satisfies the dimensions, but how can we employ a number which violates our understanding of the maximum speed?

Thread is contained in the summary.
Nothing is violating the speed of light when we describe rest energy as being equal to the rest mass times the square of the speed of light. This is just what energy is and how it is defined.

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Your understanding and appreciation of a mathematical relationship of physical variables is obtained from the derivation of that relationship and the assumptions and physical principles that are required to develop it.

Suggested for: How to relate to math expressions that don’t have physical representations

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies