Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to remove flush mount ceiling fixture?

1. Sep 10, 2015 #1
    I need to replace a light bulb. There is no side screw and it doesn't seem to easily rotate. Any ideas on how to remove it? ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1441938896.619699.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2015 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

A hammer. I guarantee you that the instant you smash it, you will find the way to remove it that wasn't obvious at first. :smile:

4. Sep 10, 2015 #3

Evo

Did you try pushing up on it and then tilting it?

5. Sep 10, 2015 #4
    You mean the inner glass part?

6. Sep 10, 2015 #5
  7. Sep 10, 2015 #6

Evo

Yes.

8. Sep 10, 2015 #7
    It's pretty snug, doesn't budge at all

9. Sep 10, 2015 #8

Evo

Zooby posted some interesting solutions.

10. Sep 10, 2015 #9

russ_watters

The glass spins: it is a bayonet type fitting. Unfortunately, yes, they get tight. While Evo's solution will certainly work, in seriousness, if you tap it counterclockwise on the edge with a rubber mallet, that should knock it free. The glass is pretty thick.

11. Sep 10, 2015 #10
    Off to the hardware store tomorrow

12. Sep 10, 2015 #11
    Here's another site which demonstrates that this is a widespread problem:
    http://technical.sabhlokcity.com/20...ittings-fixture-to-replace-change-light-bulb/

Light fixture companies are up to something weird when the average person can't see how to open the fixture to change the bulb. It's as if they're hoping the attempt to change the bulb will result in breaking the fixture so that you have to buy a new one.

13. Sep 11, 2015 #12

Borek

I had the spring kind (like these described in the second Zooby's post). Springs were surprisingly strong, so I was always afraid of destroying whole thing. Luckily I mounted the fixture by myself, so I have seen it in the box and I knew what is inside and what to do. Even with that knowledge... every time the bulb went off it required some heavy cursing to replace it.

In the end we replaced it with a completely different kind, now replacing the bulbs is a breeze.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook