Battery Operated Ceiling Light and Light Switch?

In summary, a battery operated light switch and ceiling light can be installed by an unassisted beginner with some simple tools and a bit of knowledge.
YoshiMoshi
Does anyone know of any products that would allow me to install a battery operated light switch and ceiling light? This would save me a lot over tearing down all the sheetrock, replacing sheetrock, painting, etc..

I'm thinking a switch with a faceplate. A simple button cell would go behind the switch and communicate with the light over ceiling light over blue tooth. Some sticky glue would be on the back of the faceplate, and you just stick it to the wall. You unscrew the screws on the faceplate to reveal the small compartment to allow for button cell replacement when the battery dies.

The ceiling light would also include a large battery that could be included in the light fixture that you stick to the ceiling. If this wouldn't work, you could cut out a whole in the ceiling and store the battery behind the sheetrock ceiling and remove the light fixture to get to the battery to charge it. Inside the ceiling light fixture would be some Bluetooth module to communicate with the switch. A low power LED light would be required.

Does such a product like this exist?

Or is it possible to just cut a whole in the ceiling and a whole in the wall for the light switch, and use a guide that bends, and tape the electrical wires to the guide. Fasten a borescope to the end of the guide. Use the video output to wiggle the guide as required to get the electrical wires to go from the ceiling fan to the hole for the light switch?

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on your question I think you lack the experience to do this. But, I'm not going to report this to 'shut you down' so to speak. My suggestion is buy a good book about residential wiring. There are some very informative books out there. They will explain how to do some of these jobs. Fishing wires through walls, etc.
-
Also, do you have a friend with a bit of experience in this area?
-
Home improvement stores will have wireless switches but I always shy away from this sort of thing if possible. Care to share a bit more about your project?

YoshiMoshi said:
Does anyone know of any products that would allow me to install a battery operated light switch and ceiling light? This would save me a lot over tearing down all the sheetrock, replacing sheetrock, painting, etc..

I'm thinking a switch with a faceplate. A simple button cell would go behind the switch and communicate with the light over ceiling light over blue tooth. Some sticky glue would be on the back of the faceplate, and you just stick it to the wall. You unscrew the screws on the faceplate to reveal the small compartment to allow for button cell replacement when the battery dies.

The ceiling light would also include a large battery that could be included in the light fixture that you stick to the ceiling. If this wouldn't work, you could cut out a whole in the ceiling and store the battery behind the sheetrock ceiling and remove the light fixture to get to the battery to charge it. Inside the ceiling light fixture would be some Bluetooth module to communicate with the switch. A low power LED light would be required.

Does such a product like this exist?
Have you googled this? Sure, products like you describe exist or can be cobbled together from similar products (but they aren't bluetooth -- there was radio before bluetooth, and bluetooth would use too much power...). The problem is battery life. How much light do you need? For how long per day? How often are you willing to change/charge the battery? If this is a middle of the room, room illuminating fixture, you probably need at least 20 watts. If your battery pack were four AA lithium batteries, you could run it for nearly an hour on a charge.

Averagesupernova said:
Based on your question I think you lack the experience to do this. But, I'm not going to report this to 'shut you down' so to speak.
As most of the question is worded, it is something I'd encourage trying. But that last bit...
Also, do you have a friend with a bit of experience in this area?
Yeah, if this goes toward line voltage wiring, I'd recommend finding someone with some experience to help. I know we all have to start somewhere, but an unassisted beginner working on line voltage wiring would be dangerous.

There's a simpler solution. Install a bracket near the door, and put one of these on it: https://www.amazon.com/camping-lights-and-lanterns/b?ie=UTF8&node=3401301. Your choice of disposable or rechargeable batteries, low cost, plenty of light, no wiring, no holes in the building,...
Camping Light.jpg

Likes berkeman and russ_watters
'Battery operated light with remote' makes a good search with many relevant results.

My humble opinion is, that it requires a heavy battery to have decent light, and you'll need to charge it too often. Better think twice and give a thought to call for a qualified electrician to install a simple ceiling light with a classic switch on the wall.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
You can get battery lights with motion sensors. That eliminates external wiring. It might also reduce the number of ON minutes per day, thus extending battery life.

But the biggest variable is your estimate of enough light. Decent is not an engineering unit.

Well, 'decent' is the basis of getting the right engineering unit :wink:

Some time ago I've got an UPS for having lights on for stormy nights when the grid is down.
The 12V 7Ah battery could run some ~ 30W LED lighting for ~ two hours average as I recall, and with that the result was 'decent' for the living room.
I had to replace the battery (what was not something any sane person would try to stick to the ceiling) after three years.

In case of the OP I would try to solve the problem without a battery.

Likes russ_watters
anorlunda said:
Decent is not an engineering unit.

Fine. Metric decent. Better?

The OP needs to clarify the application. Is it like a night light for the toilet, or max illumination for the biggest room in the house?

I use a stick-on ceiling light with motion sensor and 2 AA batteries to illuminate a dark corner. I get 6 month lifetime from the batteries. Couldn't be simpler.

I would like a stick on ceiling light, do you have any recommendations?

I don't think an internet forum such as this one can help you any more than we already have unless you cough up some details. This has already been asked of you with no productive reply. What type of room? Access to space above?

Sorry about this. So I live in first floor condo. So I don't have access to the space above me (above me is another unit). So like for a closet for example. I don't have a ceiling light in my closet. I have annoying bubble sheetrock ceiling. Although I own the unit, so I could cut a whole through the sheetrock if necessary.

1. What is a battery operated ceiling light and light switch?

A battery operated ceiling light and light switch is a lighting system that is powered by batteries instead of electricity from a traditional power source. It typically consists of a light fixture that can be mounted on the ceiling and a remote control or switch that allows you to turn the light on and off.

2. How do battery operated ceiling lights and light switches work?

Battery operated ceiling lights and light switches work by using batteries to power the LED lights in the fixture. The remote control or switch sends a signal to the light fixture, which activates the lights. The batteries can be replaced when they run out of power.

3. What are the advantages of using battery operated ceiling lights and light switches?

The main advantage of using battery operated ceiling lights and light switches is that they do not require any wiring or electricity, making them easy to install and use. They are also portable, making them a great option for temporary lighting or for use in areas without access to electricity.

4. How long do the batteries last in a battery operated ceiling light and light switch?

The battery life of a battery operated ceiling light and light switch will vary depending on the type of batteries used, the frequency of use, and the brightness of the lights. Generally, LED lights are more energy efficient and will last longer than traditional incandescent bulbs.

5. Can battery operated ceiling lights and light switches be used outdoors?

Yes, there are some battery operated ceiling lights and light switches that are designed specifically for outdoor use. However, it is important to check the product specifications to ensure that they are suitable for outdoor use and can withstand the elements.