I think it has to be mentioned that this view is a typical American one. While Americans are always asking (as far as I can judge from news channels, internet and private discussions, relatives) "Where goes my tax dollar to?" by simultaneously ignoring the by far biggest position of the budget, Europeans have difficulties to understand such a point of view - mainly because of this absurd discrepancy - and usually consider research and education rather badly equipped than overpaid. So this argument cannot be applied to European scientists whereas at the same time they receive the same questions about applicability. *)
---------
*) As always with real life statements that uses an "for all" quantifier, this statement has been based on personal experiences and reflects a general trend rather than an absolute truth. I'm well aware of the fact, that it doesn't hold for all possible occasions or all people of the named groups.