How to Safely Work with NaF and KF at 1000°C in a Poorly Equipped Lab?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oxygenne
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 6K views
Oxygenne
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Hi!
I would like to ask if you have some experience how is to work with NaF and KF at 1000°C but in the lab not under fumecoboard.
I know that is toxic but I do not see at the moment how to protect myself since the lab is not well equipped
Thank you for your advice!
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Oxygenne said:
I would like to ask if you have some experience how is to work with NaF and KF at 1000°C but in the lab not under fumecoboard.

1000C? Surely you are working in the molten state. And why are you doing such a thing? Working with any liquid salt is very dangerous especially without the proper equipment and container. What may I ask are you using as a container? It will eat through glass...
 
I agree with you.
When I was PhD student in G****** people were paying much attention to such things but now, in A****** I cannot believe that is allowed to work in such bad conditions in a such prestigious school.
Personally I have no motivation to work and I feel very bad.

what do you mean by container?
 
I was wondering what you or the lab planned to use for a container to hold the molten fluorides...the crucible.
 
Cesium said:
I was wondering what you or the lab planned to use for a container to hold the molten fluorides...the crucible.

I use inconel. But it was destroyed.
 
lol and I was going to suggest Monel or Hastelloy

platinum would survive
 
surely but it is too expensive .
the dimensions are quite large

i am thinking to use alumina