Advice on self studying material

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of self-studying math, physics, and programming due to going too fast and lacking clear basics. One solution proposed is to find a specific project to work on, which will require studying the necessary subjects in a more focused manner.
Yashbhatt
Hi. Looking for general advice on self studying math, physics, programming etc.

What happens often with me is either I go too fast and encounter for which my basics aren't clear enough and going back and forth between chapters/modules boggs me down. So, I erase my overall progress and just start with the basic chapters again but a lot of it starts to get repetitive and I lose interest. So, in a way I know the basics of many subjects but fail to gain expertise in any of them. Any advise on how to avoid the back and forth and learn in a coherent manner?

Physics news on Phys.org
One thought is to find a very specific project that you are determined to accomplish. Then study whatever is necessary to accomplish it. A project like "Write a computer program to enhance the photos of my grandparents" is less nebuluous than that an ambition like "Master multivariable calculus".

Likes hutchphd and Yashbhatt

1. What are the benefits of self-studying material?

Self-studying material allows individuals to learn at their own pace and in their own preferred learning style. It also promotes self-discipline and self-motivation, as well as the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How can I effectively self-study material?

To effectively self-study material, it is important to have a clear goal in mind, create a study schedule, and use various resources such as textbooks, online resources, and practice exercises. It is also helpful to take breaks and review material regularly.

3. What are some common challenges of self-studying material?

Some common challenges of self-studying material include staying motivated, managing time effectively, and understanding complex concepts without the guidance of a teacher. It may also be difficult to stay disciplined and focused without the structure of a traditional classroom setting.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-studying material?

To stay motivated while self-studying material, it can be helpful to set smaller, achievable goals, reward yourself for progress, and find a study partner or group for accountability. It is also important to remind yourself of the benefits and long-term goals of self-studying.

5. Are there any specific tips for self-studying a particular subject?

Yes, for self-studying a particular subject, it can be helpful to break down the material into smaller sections, use visual aids or mnemonic devices to aid in memorization, and seek out online forums or study groups for additional support and resources. It may also be beneficial to seek out online courses or tutorials for more structured learning.