Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to show Bernoulli's equation applies on same streamline?

1. Mar 11, 2017 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

When deriving Bernoulli's equation from Navier Stokes, how do we know it is only valid along a streamline? At the very end of my derivation, assuming Newtonian, incompressible, inviscid, irrotational flow I have ##\nabla(\partial_t \phi + |\vec{u}|^2/2+p/\rho + g z) = \vec{0} \implies \partial_t \phi + |\vec{u}|^2/2+p/\rho + g z = const.## where I think the constant implies something about which streamline you're on. Also, ##\vec{u}=\nabla \phi##.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2017 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's probably easiest if you start from the Euler equations cast in terms of streamline variables. If you do that, then you show that integrating along a streamline results in Bernoulli's equation.

Of course, it can also be applied globally if the flow is irrotational or across multiple streamlines if all of them originate with the same total pressure.

4. Mar 11, 2017 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

That's a good way to do it. But my problem is, deriving it through NS as shown above, when I arrive at ##\partial_t \phi + |\vec{u}|^2/2+p/\rho + g z = const.## how would I know, or rather where is the assumption, that only validates this equation along a streamline?

I'm not really looking at how to derive Bernoulli's along streamline, I'm wondering why that equation is only valid along one. Thanks for your reply!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted