1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to show something is a covector?

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1
    Hi, think this question will be relatively simple for those familiar with tensor analysis

Need to show that (-x, -y, -z, t) is a covector. We're given a hint that we should apply a lorentz boost in the x direction but i don't see the point of this. If that is a covector then surely you can say

is a vector and just take the scalar product to find the interval?

There is also a samilar question where by I have to show that

(df/dx, df/dy,df/dz,df/dt) (f is a scalar field) is a covector

none of these questions are for credit or anything it's just to help with our understanding...but I don't :(

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, there are two methods.

(1) You could, as you said, apply a coordiante transformation, and make sure the components transform appropriately.

(2) You could show that they are (coordiante-independent!) linear functionals on the space of vectors.

Your hint was to apply method (1). It has the advantage of being a mindless, straightforward algorithm.

But method (2) is often nicer, as you suggest. You know that [itex]\mathbf{x} := [x, y, z, t]^T[/itex] is a vector, and left multiplying by [-x, -y, -z, t] is, as you say, the (coordinate independent!) function:

f(\mathbf{y}) = \langle \mathbf{x}, \mathbf{y} \rangle

At least I think that's what you said -- I hope you didn't mean to simply take the product1 of [-x, -y, -z, t] and [itex][x, y, z, t]^T[/itex]: sure, the result is an invariant, but you need to show it's invariant no matter what vector you use on the right.

For the second problem, you know a suitable geometric interpretation of the gradient, and what you can do with the gradient and a vector.

1: This is not a scalar product! The scalar product, at least in mathspeak, is a function of two vectors. When you have a covector and a vector, you're just plugging the vector into the covector. (Since a covector is a linear functional) In the coordinate representation, it's multiplying a 1xN matrix by an Nx1 matrix.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?