1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Sketch a v-t Graph from a p-t Graph Using Tangents?

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    Hi! I'm having troubles drawing a velocity-time graph from a position-time graph. I know parabolic p-t graphs have diagonal lines for their v-t graphs, but I'm not sure why. I also know tangents are important to use, but again, I don't understand why. Any clarification as to why this happens (in a way a high school student may understand :wink:) will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Δ Hello C, welcome to PF :smile:

You could look around here and see if you can pick up something to your liking.

It all has to do with
    displacement = velocity x time.​

If the velocity is constant, it's easy. Position-time graph is a straight line with slope (tangent!) velocity.

If the velocity changes you have to consider smaller time intervals and you get something like
    displacement = average velocity x Δtime​
    and if you take Δtime small enough you get the velocity at that moment:
    velocity = displacement / Δtime
    on a position-time graph, displacement in a small time interval is Δp so to get v (for velocity), you take Δp and divide by Δtime
    v = Δp / Δtime​

4. Feb 17, 2015 #3

lightgrav

Homework Helper

velocity is the slope of the position-time graph.
    technically, average velocity at the mid-time of the short line whose slope you're calculating.
    that is because vavg = Δx/Δt ... notice : it is rise/run .
    (tangent is just making the line between points so short, that it only seems to touch one point; )
    (it is nice for math, but in real lab experiments you have discrete data points at time intervals. )
    quadratic x(t) graphs have zero slope at some time (how fast is it there?) with + slope or - slope after then.
    these curves are really steep (is that fast, or slow?) at times that are very long time from the turn-around.

5. Feb 17, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the help! The only thing I'm still struggling with is why a parabola (p-t graph) has a diagonal line as a v-t graph. A parabola goes both positively and negatively (positive and negative slope from the tangent lines) but in the v-t graph all that is shown with only a diagonal line (according to the way the parabola is opening). This is what's really tripping me up o_O.

6. Feb 17, 2015 #5

lightgrav

Homework Helper

a parabola is really steep at long times from the turn-around.
    The slope on an x(t) graph is the value then on its v(t) graph.
    . . . the slope on a v(t) graph is the value on its a(t) graph ... a parabola x(t) means constant acceleration.

7. Feb 18, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember the v = Δp / Δtime ? Well, Δp can be negative as well as positive.

If the p-t graph goes down, Δp is negative.
    If the p-t graph is horizontal, the position doesn't change and Δp is zero.
    And if the p-t graph goes up, Δp is positive.

It can also go in the other direction: If you throw up a ball, its height first increases: v is positive. But this v reduces quickly until the ball is at its highest point, when v = 0 at some moment. After that it falls down, so height decreases and v is negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted