1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve a problem like this

1. Dec 21, 2008 #1
    How would you solve a problem like this. Im assuming its torque. You have to find the mass of the box on the left. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      File size:
      10.7 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 21, 2008 #3
    I guess it is a continuation, but i just wanted to draw out the problem. I am trying to solve for the unknown mass which is placed on one side of the balance. The things i know are the mass of the object on the other side, the angle the unbalanced balance is at, the distances the objects are from the fulcrum. If I posted incorrectly, forgive me it is my first time, and i will get better. Thanks for all the help
  5. Dec 22, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi gallimaufry! :smile:

Yes, it's torque (or moment) …

in equilibrium, the moment on each side must be the same

(but the angle makes no difference … the only reason why you have to get the scale arm horizontal when you're weighing is because you must use the same fulcrum point each time, and the fulcrum isn't a perfect point)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?