1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve Asin(x) + Bcos(x) + Ctan(x) = 0

1. Aug 25, 2006 #1
    I need help in solving this equation

I solved it a few years ago but now I don't remember the right process.. The solution has to be in this way

where A = f(a,b,c), B = g(a,b,c) and C = h(a,b,c)

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

tan is sin/cos and cos^2+sin^2=1, that is sufficient to let you solve it.
  4. Aug 25, 2006 #3
    Yes, these are the formulas I'm using. But I need some more help.. please show me some of the steps I can follow to solve it
  5. Aug 25, 2006 #4
    I'm trying:

I know I have to quit the sin(x)cos(x) term, how to do it? Please, give me some ideas, I'll thank you a lot.
  6. Aug 25, 2006 #5
    Other way I've tried is this
    we call
    x = tan^(-1)(y)

The result is a quartic equation where y=tan(x), but this is not the solution I want to get.
  7. Aug 25, 2006 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not try to get all sines onto one side of the equation and cosines onto the other?
  8. Aug 27, 2006 #7
    How? I still have the sin(x)cos(x) factor.
  9. Aug 27, 2006 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's wrong with the quartic?
  10. Aug 27, 2006 #9
    It's just that this equation can be expressed in this way

This is much more pretty than the quartic.
    Other reason is that t's not easy to solve the quartic because of the 2aby factor.
  11. Aug 28, 2006 #10
    I've reached this equation

Don't know next step
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  12. Aug 28, 2006 #11
    I've solved the problem the way you asked me too, I'm not going to step you through it as that ruins the fun...

I basically started from this point though, can you do anything to the right hand side that would cancel a few things on the left hand side?

To use my method you'll have to adapt the sin^2 + cos^2 = 1 equation ever so slightly.

From the point you got to in the quote above there's only 2 lines of working left!

Your method may lead to some results too, go down whichever route feels comfortable.
  13. Aug 28, 2006 #12
    Thanks! I was begining to believe that it was a wrong method. Now I know it can be solved that way.

And I remember I did something like what you're saying , if you could lend me some more information...

14. Aug 28, 2006 #13

Staff: Mentor

For me, it helps to look at the graphs of sin, cos and tan at the beginning of a problem like this, in order to understand what the solution(s) will be, and to understand how to limit the domain of the solution. Maybe just try it briefly to see if it lends some intuition to what you are doing.

Just plot sin, cos and tan over a couple of cycles left and right of the origin, including the asymptotes of the tan function. Do you see some angles where you can get the three to add up to zero, given some A B and C values?
  15. Aug 29, 2006 #14
    I'm trying to get it this way but I can't reach it. Could you be more specific? What does it mean slightly? Do I have to add 1 to both sides of the equation? Thanks
  16. Sep 9, 2006 #15
    please help!
  17. Oct 4, 2006 #16
    I need help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?