How to solve Asin(x) + Bcos(x) + Ctan(x) = 0

• Thread starter sarcaine
  • Start date
In summary, The person is trying to solve an equation for y=tan(x), but they are stuck. They have reached the point where they have only two lines of working left. They need help to continue.
sarcaine
I need help in solving this equation

asenx+bcosx+ctanx=0

I solved it a few years ago but now I don't remember the right process.. The solution has to be in this way

Atan^2(x)+Btan(x)+C=0

where A = f(a,b,c), B = g(a,b,c) and C = h(a,b,c)

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
tan is sin/cos and cos^2+sin^2=1, that is sufficient to let you solve it.

Yes, these are the formulas I'm using. But I need some more help.. please show me some of the steps I can follow to solve it

I'm trying:

asin(x)+bcos(x)=-ctan(x)
a^2sin^2(x)+2absin(x)cos(x)+b^2cos^2(x)=c^2sin^2(x)/cos^2(x)

I know I have to quit the sin(x)cos(x) term, how to do it? Please, give me some ideas, I'll thank you a lot.

Other way I've tried is this
we call
x = tan^(-1)(y)
then
ay/sqrt(1+y^2)+b/sqrt(1+y^2)+cy=0
ay+b+cy*sqrt(1+y^2)=0
ay+b=-cy*sqrt(1+y^2)
a^2y^2+2aby+b^2=c^2y^2(1+y^2)
a^2y^2+2aby+b^2=c^2y^2+c^2y^4
c^2y^4+(c^2-a^2)y^2-2aby-b^2=0

The result is a quartic equation where y=tan(x), but this is not the solution I want to get.

Why not try to get all sines onto one side of the equation and cosines onto the other?

How? I still have the sin(x)cos(x) factor.

sarcaine said:
The result is a quartic equation where y=tan(x), but this is not the solution I want to get.
What's wrong with the quartic?

It's just that this equation can be expressed in this way

Atan^2(x)+Btan(x)+C=0

This is much more pretty than the quartic.
Other reason is that t's not easy to solve the quartic because of the 2aby factor.

I've reached this equation

(a^2+b^2)-2cb/sin(x)-b^2/sin^2(x)=c^2/cos^2(x)

Don't know next step

Last edited:
sarcaine said:
a^2sin^2(x)+2absin(x)cos(x)+b^2cos^2(x)=c^2sin^2(x)/cos^2(x)
I've solved the problem the way you asked me too, I'm not going to step you through it as that ruins the fun...

I basically started from this point though, can you do anything to the right hand side that would cancel a few things on the left hand side?

To use my method you'll have to adapt the sin^2 + cos^2 = 1 equation ever so slightly.

:)

From the point you got to in the quote above there's only 2 lines of working left!

:cool:

Your method may lead to some results too, go down whichever route feels comfortable.

Thanks! I was beginning to believe that it was a wrong method. Now I know it can be solved that way.

And I remember I did something like what you're saying , if you could lend me some more information...

:smile:

For me, it helps to look at the graphs of sin, cos and tan at the beginning of a problem like this, in order to understand what the solution(s) will be, and to understand how to limit the domain of the solution. Maybe just try it briefly to see if it lends some intuition to what you are doing.

Just plot sin, cos and tan over a couple of cycles left and right of the origin, including the asymptotes of the tan function. Do you see some angles where you can get the three to add up to zero, given some A B and C values?

power freak said:
To use my method you'll have to adapt the sin^2 + cos^2 = 1 equation ever so slightly.

:)

From the point you got to in the quote above there's only 2 lines of working left!

I'm trying to get it this way but I can't reach it. Could you be more specific? What does it mean slightly? Do I have to add 1 to both sides of the equation? Thanks

please help!

I need help!

1. What are the steps to solve Asin(x) + Bcos(x) + Ctan(x) = 0?

To solve this equation, you can follow these steps:

1. Use a trigonometric identity to rewrite the equation in terms of a single trigonometric function.
  2. Isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation.
  3. Use the inverse trigonometric function to solve for the angle.
  4. Substitute the angle back into the original equation to find the solution.

2. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions. Since trigonometric functions are periodic, there can be infinitely many angles that satisfy the equation.

3. How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation and simplifying to see if it equals 0. You can also use a calculator to evaluate the equation for the given angle and see if it equals 0.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of A, B, and C in the equation?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the values of A, B, and C in order for the equation to have a solution. For example, if A = 0 and B = 0, then the equation would become Ctan(x) = 0, which has no real solutions. Additionally, if A and B are both 0, then the equation would become Ctan(x) = 0, which has infinitely many solutions. Generally, the values of A, B, and C should not all equal 0 for the equation to have a unique solution.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. Many scientific calculators have built-in functions for solving trigonometric equations, and some online calculators also have this capability. However, it is important to note that calculators may not always give exact solutions and may round the solutions to a certain number of decimal places.