1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve for Initial velocity Problem

1. May 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bobsled glides down a hill with an acceleration of -4.5 m/s If it stops after 5 s, what was its initial velocity?

2. Relevant equations

i know vf(final)= v + at

3. The attempt at a solution
    i multiplied -4.5m/s by 5s and i got the correct answer the only problem is the answer is negative, i need it to be positive. Where or what did i do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Write the equation you are using to solve this problem, then substitute in it for the variables you know.

4. May 22, 2016 #3
    The issue is I do not know what equation to use. I though the initial velocity equation would help, but I am not given final velocity I only have two known variables

5. May 22, 2016 #4

NascentOxygen

The problem states clearly what the sled's final speed is. The unknown here is its initial speed.

6. May 22, 2016 #5
    so distance over time ?

i know the equation for for final velocity is vf= v(initial) + (a)(t)<---- acceleration multiplied by time

to get the final velocity i did do distance over time giving me -0.9 then i multiplied -4.5m/s by 5s i added all those figures together giving me a number that is not similar to the answer key

7. May 22, 2016 #6

NascentOxygen

The sled is brought to a stop, which tells you its final speed is 0 m/s.

8. May 22, 2016 #7
    o damn, right under my nose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted