How to solve modulo / modular arithmetic ?

• Thread starter XodoX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary: For example, 38/12=4 and 14/12=2. So, the point of this problem is to see if there is a number that when divided by 12 has a remainder of 2, and there is- 7.
XodoX

Homework Statement

Find some x such that x[tex]\equiv[/tex]8 mod (18)

Find the inverse of 12 modulo 41

Solve 2x=7 mod (13)

Homework Equations

Let a and be be integers, and let m be a positive integer. Then a [tex]\equiv[/tex] b ( mod m) if and only if a mod m = b mod m

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how you do this. Can someone explain please? I know it's actually easy... but can't figure it out!

Physics news on Phys.org
a ≡ b (mod m) iff a - b = m·k, for some integer k.

To find the inverse of a number "a" modulo some number "p", you want an x such that ax ≡ 1 (mod p). Think of this as a + a + a + ... + a ≡ 1 (mod p).

Also, to solve 2x ≡ 7 (mod 13), you can find the inverse of 2 (mod 13), then multiply both sides by it.

XodoX said:

Homework Statement

Find some x such that x[tex]\equiv[/tex]8 mod (18)
That's barely a problem at all- one such x is "8"! (Others are 8+ 18= 26 and 8- 18= -10.)

Find the inverse of 12 modulo 41
You are seeking an integer, x, such that 12x= 1 (mod 41). That is the same as saying that 12x= 1+ 41y for some integer y. And that equation is the same as 12x- 41y= 1.

The standard way of solving such a Diophantine equation is to use the "division algorithm":
12 divides into 41 three times with remainder 5: 41- 3(12)= 5. 5 divides into 12 twice with remainder 2: 12- 2(5)= 2. 2 divides into 5 twice with remainder 1: 5- 2(2)= 1.

Replace (2) in the third equation with (12- 2(5)) from the second equation and we have 5- 2(12- 2(5))= 5(5)- 2(12)= 1. Replace (5) in that with 41- 3(12) from the first equation and we have 5(41- 3(12))- 2(12)= 5(41)- 17(12)= 1.
We can see immediately that one solution to 12x- 41y= 1 is x= -17, y= -41. It is also easy to see that x= -17+ 41k and y= -41+ 17k is a solution for any integer k. Can you find a k that gives the smallest positive x?

Solve 2x=7 mod (13)
This is the same as saying that 2x= 7+ 13y for some integer y. That is the same as 2x- 13y= 7.

Now do the same as above. 2 divides into 13 six times with remainder 1: 13- 2(6)= 1. Multiply that by 7: 13(7)- 2(42)= 7. That is, one solution is x= -42, y= -7. Again, x= -42+ 13k, y= -7+ 2k is a solution for any k. What is the smallest positive value for x?

Or, for this simple problem, you could just note the 2(7)= 14= 1 (mod 13) so the multiplicative inverse of 7 (mod 13) is 2. Then multiply 7 by that multiplicative inverse.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how you do this. Can someone explain please? I know it's actually easy... but can't figure it out!
Haven't you been given some instruction in this? You should at least try things even if you are not sure.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. But I still don't know how the mod thing works. Mod is the rest or what? The definition from the book dosen't make sense to me.
I'm not getting it.

38=14 mod 12. How would I do that?

38−14=24, which is a multiple of*12. I understand that, but what's the point here? Always subtract the 2nd by the 1st and look if the remainder is a multiple of the mod?

Last edited:
Another way to look at this is with the idea of remainder when doing division.

Notice that 38 and 14 both have a remainder of 2 when you divide them by 12.

1. What is modulo/modular arithmetic?

Modulo/modular arithmetic is a mathematical operation that calculates the remainder when one number is divided by another number. It is denoted by the symbol "%".

2. What are the basic rules of modulo/modular arithmetic?

The basic rules of modulo/modular arithmetic include:

• The result of a modulo operation is always a whole number.
  • If the divisor is larger than the dividend, the result is equal to the dividend.
  • The result of a modulo operation is always less than the divisor.
  • When adding or subtracting numbers using modulo, the result is the same as adding or subtracting the remainders of the numbers.
  • When multiplying or dividing numbers using modulo, the result is the same as multiplying or dividing the remainders of the numbers.

3. How is modulo/modular arithmetic used in computer programming?

Modulo/modular arithmetic is commonly used in computer programming for tasks such as generating random numbers, implementing circular arrays, and checking for divisibility. It is also used in encryption algorithms and error detection codes.

4. Can negative numbers be used in modulo/modular arithmetic?

Yes, negative numbers can be used in modulo/modular arithmetic. The result of a modulo operation with a negative number will be negative, and the result of a modulo operation with a positive number will be positive.

5. What is the difference between modulo/modular arithmetic and division?

The main difference between modulo/modular arithmetic and division is that modulo only gives the remainder as the result, while division gives the quotient as the result. Additionally, division can result in a decimal or fraction, while modulo always results in a whole number.