How to solve this differential equation analytically

In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect method used to solve a function coefficient second order linear differential equation and suggests a correct method by guessing a solution in the form of e^{f(x)} and finding the appropriate differential equation for f(x). The second solution can be obtained using the usual method and then adjusted to meet the given boundary conditions.
Johnson04

Homework Statement

u''(x) - (x^6 + 3*x^2)*u(x) = 0, u(-1) = u(1) = 1, -1 <= x <= 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider v''(x) - s^2 * v(x) = 0, the auxiliary equation is: r^2 - s^2 = 0. Since (x^6 + 3*x^2) >= 0, s >= 0. Thus, I got r = s or -s. Suppose v(x) = a*exp(s*x)+b*exp(-s*x), then v'(x)=a*s*exp(s*x)-b*s*exp(-s*x), v''(x)=a*s^2*exp(s*x)+b*s^2*exp(-s*x)=s^2*v(x).
Let s = s(x), u''(x) - s(x)^2 * u(x) = 0, similarly I got u(x) = a*exp(s(x)*x)+b*exp(-s(x)*x). s(x) = Sqrt(x^6 + 3*x^2), u'(x) = a*(Sqrt(x^6 + 3*x^2) + x*(6*x^5+6*x)/(2*Sqrt(x^6 + 3*x^2))) * exp(s(x)*x) + b * (-Sqrt(x^6 + 3*x^2) - x * (6*x^5 + 6*x)/(2*Sqrt(x^6 + 3*x^2))) * exp(-s(x)*x), absolutely, u''(x) will be different from (x^6 + 3*x^2)*u(x), that is to say the method I used is totally incorrect!

Could anybody tell me what's wrong with my solution and how should I solve this differential equation?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is incorrect, because there is no auxiliary in this case, since the coefficients are functions and not constants. i.e. you don't have a solution of the form [tex]e^{kx}[/tex]

For function coefficient second order linear differential there is no general method, to find the solution.
But if you somehow guess one of the solutions, then an other linearly independent can be formed.

So in this case a good guess is, search in the form of [tex]e^{f(x)}[/tex]
Where [tex]f(x)[/tex] is some function, we need to find out.
plugging this into the equation we get a differential equation for f(x):
[tex]f''(x)+f'^2(x)=x^6+3x^2[/tex]
Now we do another trick. Notice:
[tex]f''=\frac{df'}{df}\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{df'}{df}f'=\frac12 \frac{df'^2}{df}[/tex]

now put [tex]v=f'^2[/tex].

So then the DE for f:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{dv}{df}+v=x^6+3x^2[/tex]

this can be solved straight forward, for the [tex]v(f)[/tex] function since it is linear non-homogenous with constant coefficients, and then using [tex]v=f'^2[/tex] we can simply get the [tex]f(x)[/tex] function.
So we have obtained one solution of the original second order DE, and then using the usual method, you can find a second solution, and then adjust to the boundary conditions and you are done.

I hope everything was clear :D

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and to solve problems in many fields of science and engineering.

2. How do you solve a differential equation analytically?

To solve a differential equation analytically, you need to find an expression for the function that satisfies the equation. This is typically done by using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a differential equation analytically?

The steps involved in solving a differential equation analytically include identifying the type of differential equation, manipulating the equation to separate variables, integrating both sides of the equation, and then solving for the constant of integration.

4. What are the applications of solving differential equations analytically?

Differential equations are used to describe a wide range of natural phenomena, including population growth, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits. Solving them analytically allows for a deeper understanding of these processes and can help in making predictions and solving real-world problems.

5. Can all differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations are too complex or do not have known methods for solving them. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to find approximate solutions.