How to solve this math problem: Two simultaneous trig equations

• Thread starter barryj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, to solve a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations, you can use algebraic methods such as using trigonometric identities or graphing the equations. Some common trigonometric identities that can help in solving these equations include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. A calculator can also be used to solve these equations, although understanding the algebraic methods is still important. It is possible for the equations to have multiple solutions, which can be represented as a set of ordered pairs. To solve these equations efficiently, carefully choose which variable to eliminate first and check solutions by substituting them back into the original equations.
barryj

Homework Statement

I worked a physics problem and the answer came down to solving these two equations and I am stuck.

Homework Equations

[/B]
2 equations and two unknowns.

sin(x) = (2/3)sin(y)
1 + cos(x) = (2/3) cos(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this and it went nowhere..
z =sin^-1[(2/3)sin(y)]- cos^-1[(2/3)cos(y) -1]
and set this to zero to solve for y.
This did not seem to work so there must be a better way.
Suggestions??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
barryj said:

Homework Statement

I worked a physics problem and the answer came down to solving these two equations and I am stuck.

Homework Equations

[/B]
2 equations and two unknowns.

sin(x) = (2/3)sin(y)
1 + cos(x) = (2/3) cos(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this and it went nowhere..
z =sin^-1[(2/3)sin(y)]- cos^-1[(2/3)cos(y) -1]
and set this to zero to solve for y.
This did not seem to work so there must be a better way.
Suggestions??
Square both sides of each equation and add the resulting equations.

I thought I made a reply but I guess I didn't so here it is again.

I squared both equations and added them and used the trig identity to make sin^2 + cos^2 = 1.
I got an answer but it was not what I expected to see.
I will continue to work.

barryj said:
I thought I made a reply but I guess I didn't so here it is again.

I squared both equations and added them and used the trig identity to make sin^2 + cos^2 = 1.
I got an answer but it was not what I expected to see.
I will continue to work.
What answer did you get?

I got cos x = -.777
I expected a positive answer.
Maybe i have my equations set up incorrectly.
I will continue to work and report back

That means an angle of greater than 90 degrees. What's wrong with that? Check the answer, work out what the sine is and plug back into the original equations. If the math is telling you the answer is more than 90 degrees, then it's more than 90 degrees, despite your expectations.

Actually, the answer is correct. The angle is and should be 140 deg. The squaring of both sides of the equation made the solution easier.

barryj said:
Actually, the answer is correct. The angle is and should be 140 deg. The squaring of both sides of the equation made the solution easier.

You could have lessened your anxiety by looking a bit more closely at your equations before setting out to solve them. From ##1+\cos x = (2/3) \cos y## it follows that we need ##\cos x < 0##, because otherwise the left-hand-side would be ##> 1,## while the right-hand-side is ## \leq 2/3.## So, having ##\cos x## coming out negative is exactly what you need.

Anyway, the squaring and adding method yields a unique value for ##\cos x##, so absent of algebraic errors, must be correct.

Last edited:
Likes Philip Robotic
Actually, the equations were the result of a momentum problem in physics that I posted on the physics site. Had I performed the physics problem a bit smarted I would not have had the two equations at all.

Yes, I was glad my equations were correct however. the answer of 140 degrees is correct.

1. How do I solve a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations?

To solve a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations, you need to use algebraic methods to eliminate one of the variables and then solve for the remaining variable. This can be done by using trigonometric identities or by graphing the equations to find their intersection points.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities that can help me solve these equations?

Some common trigonometric identities that can help you solve simultaneous trigonometric equations include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. It is important to be familiar with these identities in order to simplify the equations and eliminate variables.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve these equations?

Yes, depending on the complexity of the equations, you can use a calculator to solve for the variables. Most scientific calculators have trigonometric functions and can solve equations involving trigonometric functions. However, it is still important to understand the algebraic methods behind solving these equations.

4. What if the equations have multiple solutions?

It is possible for a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations to have multiple solutions, depending on the values of the variables. In this case, the solutions can be represented as a set of ordered pairs (x,y). Graphing the equations can help you visualize and find all the solutions.

5. Are there any tips for solving these equations more efficiently?

One helpful tip for solving simultaneous trigonometric equations is to carefully choose which variable to eliminate first. Sometimes, using the Pythagorean identities or trigonometric identities can simplify the equations and make them easier to solve. It is also important to check your solutions by substituting them back into the original equations to ensure they are correct.