Two Simultaneous Eqns with Trig, Statcs Problem

• Thread starter birdec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with a statics problem and comparing their solution process with the solutions manual. They had two equations and two unknowns and were trying to solve for F and θ. The solutions manual skipped some steps and the student was unsure how to arrive at the given solution. The student's attempt involved solving for F and using trigonometric functions to find θ, but they were unsure about the final step. The expert summarizer suggests adding 180 degrees to the student's solution to get the same answer as the solutions manual, and also points out a quicker method using division to eliminate F in one step.
birdec

Homework Statement

I'm doing a statics problem and am following how the solutions manual does it but they skipped a few steps and I'm lost as a result.

I have two equations and two unknowns: F and θ (degrees)

Homework Equations

Equation 1: F*cos(25+θ) = -54.684
Equation 2: F*sin(25+θ) = 69.131

The Attempt at a Solution

Solve for F: F=-54.684/cos(25+θ)

Plug F into other equation and combine sin and cos to get tangent(25+θ):

-54.684*tan(25+θ)=69.131
tan(25+θ)=(-1.26)
25+θ=arctan(-1.26)
25+θ=-51.65
θ=-76.65

The solutions manual simply says "Solving Equations (1) and (2) yields 25+θ=128.35; θ=103 degrees; F = 88.1 lb"

The only thing I can think of is adding 180 degrees to the θ I got which gives me the 103 degrees they got. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
birdec said:

Homework Statement

I'm doing a statics problem and am following how the solutions manual does it but they skipped a few steps and I'm lost as a result.

I have two equations and two unknowns: F and θ (degrees)

Homework Equations

Equation 1: F*cos(25+θ) = -54.684
Equation 2: F*sin(25+θ) = 69.131

The Attempt at a Solution

Solve for F: F=-54.684/cos(25+θ)

Plug F into other equation and combine sin and cos to get tangent(25+θ):

-54.684*tan(25+θ)=69.131
tan(25+θ)=(-1.26)
25+θ=arctan(-1.26)
25+θ=-51.65
θ=-76.65

The solutions manual simply says "Solving Equations (1) and (2) yields 25+θ=128.35; θ=103 degrees; F = 88.1 lb"

The only thing I can think of is adding 180 degrees to the θ I got which gives me the 103 degrees they got. Any ideas?
Sounds good to me. The tangent function is periodic with period π (or 180°), so adding 180° to what you got will produce an angle in the second quadrant. Presumably any angle you get should be between 0° and 180°.

BTW, you could have shortened your work by dividing the 2nd equation by the first. That would have eliminated F in one step and gotten you directly to tan(25 + θ) on one side of the equation.

1. What are simultaneous equations with trigonometry?

Simultaneous equations with trigonometry involve solving two equations that contain trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent. These equations typically have two unknown variables and require the use of trigonometric identities to solve.

2. How do I solve simultaneous equations with trigonometry?

To solve simultaneous equations with trigonometry, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method. First, rearrange the equations to isolate one of the variables and then substitute its value into the other equation. Then, solve for the remaining variable. Alternatively, you can eliminate one of the variables by adding or subtracting the equations to create a new equation with only one variable.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve simultaneous equations with trigonometry?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve simultaneous equations with trigonometry. Most scientific and graphing calculators have a "solve" function that allows you to input the equations and find the values of the variables.

4. What is the significance of solving simultaneous equations with trigonometry?

Solving simultaneous equations with trigonometry is useful in many fields, including engineering, physics, and navigation. It allows you to find the values of unknown variables in systems that involve trigonometric functions, which can be used to solve real-world problems.

5. Are there any tips for solving simultaneous equations with trigonometry?

One helpful tip is to use trigonometric identities to simplify the equations before solving. This can make the equations easier to work with and may lead to a simpler solution. It's also important to carefully rearrange the equations and check your work to avoid errors.