Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this system of Differential equation

1. Aug 4, 2012 #1
    I have equations as
    C1*y1' = F*C2*y2 - C3*y1
    y2' = C4 -B* C5*y3 - C6*y1
    y2-C7=x(t)*y3

X(t) is a known function
    where F = 0 when y3<y1
    1 when y3>y1
    B=0 when C7<y3
    1 when C7>y3

C's are constants

so what I am thinking is at time t1 i will get the values for F and B depending on previous values and X value will be known and I need the solution for the unknowns at time t1. I tried solving this by newton raphshon method but the solution is not converging. Are there any MATLAB commands for this like ODE 23 OR any new solution is welcomed

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey revooridinesh and welcome to the forums.

This is definitely a non-linear system of DE's so you won't be able to use something like an integral transform as easily.

What I recommend is if you use MATLAB, you use a scheme like say RK4 and then implement your F and B functions as Heaviside functions.

The idea is that you have a function representing the derivative of all your functions (y1,y2,y3) as a function of the current values of each function. You then use a scheme (like RK4, but it could be any decent numerical scheme) to get the new values at some later step-size.

If you are using MATLAB, maybe you should show us what your code is doing so people can make specific comments on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook