1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ordinary Differential equations question!

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    #17 If you can't see the picture: Suppose that y1, y2, and y3 are solutions to a third order constant coefficient homogeneous differential equation. Suppose further that for all real t, W(y1,y2)(t)>0, but also W(y1,y2,y3)(0)=0. Then there exists c1 and c2 such that c1y1(t) + c2y2(t) =y3(t) for all real t. Is this true, false or maybe true? I know it must have something to do with abel’s theorem but I can’t really figure out how it applies.. ,

what is the significance of plugging in 0 for ’t’ in the wronskian?

I'm thinking its something that has to do with abel's theorem but I can't make any connections as to how having a positive wronskian relates to a bigger wronskian with 0 plugged into equalling 0. View attachment 90663

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's something wrong with your attachment. I can't view it.

4. Oct 24, 2015 #3
    Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 11.37.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 11.37.35 PM.png

5. Oct 24, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When y= 0 (along the x-axis), dy/dx= 0. Which of the direction fields has that property? When x= 0 (along the y axis) dy/dx= y^2. Which of the direction fields has that property?

6. Oct 25, 2015 #5
    Thanks halls of ivy!! But I got that one! I meant number 17 the word problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted