1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve using Leibniz Rule

1. Jun 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screenshot_2015_06_09_12_12_31.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    2015_06_10_07_15_35.jpg

here is i am still stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2015 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I believe there are quite a few typos in the problem statement if you are intending to use Leibniz rule. I for one have never seen an ##\text{In}## function before.

The Leibniz rule in one dimension would be:

$$\frac{d}{dx} \int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(t) dt = f(b(x)) b'(x) - f(a(x)) a'(x)$$

EDIT: It would be more appropriate to call this the fundamental theorem.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  4. Jun 9, 2015 #3
    at first i am use substitution. some one said
    what am i do now?

5. Jun 9, 2015 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

6. Jun 9, 2015 #5
    i know the Leibniz's rule. i solve many mathematical term . bt i cann't solve this math with Leibniz rule. i am still stuck
    here. here limit is constant so 2nd and 3rd term will be zero.

7. Jun 10, 2015 #6
    any one solve this mathematical term and prove it??

8. Jun 10, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your application of Leibnitz' rule is correct. You could try to change variables to ##u = \cos(x)## in your integral.

9. Jun 10, 2015 #8
    See this, example 3.
    Now let's do that daunting looking integral. Like I said before, this is a good problem.
    First write ##\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{\alpha}-\frac{1}{(\alpha)(1+\alpha cos(x))} dx## for the original integral.
    However ##\int \frac{1}{1+\alpha cos(x)} dx## itself is not nice, in-fact it's pretty nasty. It will be an interesting exercise to do, but even after that there is a good bit to do for the original problem. So I would recommend you use Wolfram for that for now, and proceed.

10. Jun 10, 2015 #9
    i could not solve this math above analysis . i am trying to my best. but i am fail every time. and again try.....

please see this and give me more idea to solve
    proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fs10.postimg.org%2F73jxqf5uh%2FScreenshot_2015_06_09_12_12_31.png

Screenshot_2015_06_10_15_36_42.png

11. Jun 10, 2015 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can even cheat :) using wolframalpha.com.
    The substitution tan(x/2)=u works well if you have a rational expression of trigonometric functions. Try.

12. Jun 10, 2015 #11

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The derivation of the OP is correct. Read Leibnitz Rule http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_integral_rule

13. Jun 10, 2015 #12
    In regards to post #9:- I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do here. Did you have a look at the links I provided in post #8. I think your trying to come up with a value for ##\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{1+\alpha cos(x)} dx## for ##|\alpha|<1##using ##\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{\alpha-cos(x)} dx=\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{\alpha^2-1}}## for ##|\alpha|>1##, however that + sign in the original integral makes a good difference.
    Does no one read my posts :-)

14. Jun 10, 2015 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can write your integral for ##f'(\alpha)## as ##\int_0^{\pi/2} + \int_{\pi/2}^{\pi}##, then change variables to ##x \leftarrow \pi -x## in the second integral, to get
    [tex] f'(\alpha) = \int_0^{\pi/2} \left[ \frac{\cos(x)}{1 + \alpha \cos(x)} - \frac{\cos(x)}{1 - \alpha \cos(x)} \right] \, dx \\
    = -\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{2 \alpha \cos^2(x)}{1 - \alpha^2 \cos^2(x)} \, dx [/tex]
    Changing variables to ##\tan(x) = y## produces an integral in ##y## that can be split up into partial fractions, giving two well-known and easily do-able integrations.

15. Jun 10, 2015 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\int \frac{1}{1+\alpha cos(x)} dx## is not that nasty.
    Use the identity ##\cos(x)=\frac{1-\tan^2(x/2)}{1+\tan^2(x/2)}##. Substitute u=tan(x/2), x=2arctan(u), ##dx=\frac{2}{1+u^2}du##. The integration limits become 0-->infinite.

16. Jun 10, 2015 #15

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

17. Jun 11, 2015 #16
    Yeah, your right. I didn't actually do the integral, I only saw the answer and thought, this might take some time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted