Boas 4.12.18, 2nd Derivatives of Imp. Multivariable Integral

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 2K views
mishima
Messages
576
Reaction score
43

Homework Statement


Show that u(x, y) = y/π ∫-∞∞ f(t) dt / ((x - t)2+y2) satisfies uxx + uyy = 0.

Homework Equations


Leibniz' Rule

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not even sure Leibniz' Rule can be applied here since there seems to be a discontinuity in the integrand when x=t and y=0. When I use it and take the second derivatives, I get terms that have no way of cancelling (for example the -2(x-t) and -2y terms). I also tried integration by parts first but it did not simplify things.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The function does not satisfy the Laplace equation in two dimensions at ##y = 0##. The Green's function of the Poisson equation in 2D is proportional to ##\ln(r^2/r_0^2)##. It is a matter of rather straight-forward computations to show that your function corresponds to a source term of the form ##f(x) \delta'(y)##, i.e.,
$$
u_{xx} + u_{yy} \propto f(x) \delta'(y).
$$
 
So my goal is to show the Laplace equation is satisfied for all other values of y?
 
Are my first derivatives correct?

With (x-t)2+y2=g for compactness:

ux=-2xy/π∫f(t)dt/g2 + 2y/π∫t*f(t)dt/g2

uy=1/π∫f(t)dt/g - 2y2/π∫f(t)dt/g2
 
I suggest you remove the integral, ##\pi##, and ##f(t)## for readability. They will always be there. I also strongly recommend against splitting the ##(x-t)## into two terms in the first derivative wrt ##x##, but yes, they look correct.
 
$$ u_x = \frac {-2y(x-t)}{g^2}$$

$$ u_y = \frac {1}{g} - \frac {2y^2}{g^2} $$
 
$$u_{xx} = \frac {1}{g^2} - \frac {4(x-t)^2}{g^3}$$

$$u_{yy} = \frac {8y^3}{g^3} - \frac{6y}{g^2}$$

edit: oops I forgot the -2y in ##u_{xx}##
 
You are missing the inner derivative of the first term in ##u_{xx}## and a factor 2 in the second term (one from the ##g^2## in the denominator and one from the inner derivative). You also have some sign errors.

Edit: Ok, what is missing is your factor ##-2y##. So what do you get when you do the sum?
 
$$u_{xx} + u_{yy} = 8y \left( \frac {y^2-(x-t)^2}{g^3} - \frac {1}{g^2}\right)$$

Alright, I see it now. Thank you!
 
Auxillary question, why is the factor of π included in u(x,y)? Is u a function that comes up in the sciences?
 
The factor 1/pi is obviuosly irrelevant for whether or not you get zero. It is however an important overall factor in the definition of the Green’s function.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mishima
mishima said:

Homework Statement


Show that u(x, y) = y/π ∫-∞∞ f(t) dt / ((x - t)2+y2) satisfies uxx + uyy = 0.

Homework Equations


Leibniz' Rule

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not even sure Leibniz' Rule can be applied here since there seems to be a discontinuity in the integrand when x=t and y=0. When I use it and take the second derivatives, I get terms that have no way of cancelling (for example the -2(x-t) and -2y terms). I also tried integration by parts first but it did not simplify things.
Your expression is ambiguous. I genuinely cannot tell if you mean
$$u(x,t) = \frac{y}{\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{f(t)}{(x-t)^2+y^2}\hspace{4ex}(1)$$
or
$$ u(x,t) = \frac{y}{\pi \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{f(t)}{(x-t)^2 + y^2} \, dt} \hspace{5ex}(2)$$
or, possibly, something else. Please use parentheses to make everything clear and unabmiguous (or, better still, use LaTeX to typeset your expressions, just as I have done in the above).