How to solve x^5 = x

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
Exulus
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, can anyone tell me how I would go about solving this equation? :

[itex]x^5 = x[/itex]

Rearranging it gives:
[itex]x^5 - x = 0[/itex]

But then I don't really know what to do next. I know just from looking at it and thinking about it that the roots should be x = 0, 1, -1, -i, i...but I need to be able to come to that conclusion rather than state it.

Thanks for any help :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can clearly see x=0 is a solution, so for the other solutions, you can divide the equation by x.
Can you solve the remaining equation? (There's a general method for finding the n n-th roots of unity).

By the way, since you have all the solutions, you can factor the polynomial or so.
 
Last edited:
ahh of course! That'll explain it. I did wonder as i was looking through my notes, we were taught how to find roots of unity but not this. Dividing by x makes that possible, cheers :)
 
you can simply factor it like this:

[tex]x^5 - x = 0[/tex]
[tex]x(x^4-1)=0[/tex]
[tex]x(x^2+1)(x^2-1)=0[/tex]
[tex]x(x^2+1)(x+1)(x-1)=0[/tex]

now its obvious the real solutions are:
[tex]0,-1,1[/tex]

and the complex solutions are:
[tex]x^2+1=0[/tex]
[tex]x^2=-1[/tex]
[tex]x=i[/tex]
[tex]x=-i[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Exulus said:
Hi guys, can anyone tell me how I would go about solving this equation? :

[itex]x^5 = x[/itex]

Rearranging it gives:
[itex]x^5 - x = 0[/itex]

But then I don't really know what to do next. I know just from looking at it and thinking about it that the roots should be x = 0, 1, -1, -i, i...but I need to be able to come to that conclusion rather than state it.

Thanks for any help :)

The only way this is posible is if [tex]x:=0; 0^5 = 0;[/tex]
 
nice work anzas,
and u exulus,my idea was this divide both side by x,u get x^4=1call this equation one,and rem. x[x^4-1]=0 this was resolved from the above question sub. x^4as 1 x(0)=0now divide both sides by 0 x=0/0 which is infinity.if u disagree let me know .see ya
 
abia ubong said:
now divide both sides by 0

bad idea. What does it mean to divide by zero exactly? And why do you think 0/0 is infinity?

dextercioby said:
Of course,the complex exponential is multivalued,that means that the # of solutions to

[tex]x^4 =1[/tex]

is infinite.

Daniel.

I always thought the complex exponential was pretty single-valued. What's a value of [itex]e^{ i\alpha}[/itex], other than [itex]\cos \alpha + i\sin \alpha[/itex]?
 
the complex exponential is single valued. maybe he meant the complex log.