How to Start a New Paragraph under Numbering in MS Word 2003

  • Thread starter Thread starter yungman
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
yungman
Messages
5,741
Reaction score
291
I have the 2003 Word. I don't know how to start a new paragraph under numbering without getting a new number.

For example I set up using numbering for each paragraph so I start with 1). Every time I hit return, it will start a new paragraph and with 2) on it. I want to start a new paragraph under 1) without automatically increment to 2) every time a want to start a new paragraph. But at the same time, I want to maintain the numbering in the document.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

Alan
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In which case you want to number the sections, not the paragraphs.

Number the section headings would work best - and you can have as many paragraphs in a section as you like. If you want to have a particular passage numbered as well - either use a subsection (minor heading) or put a reference in the margin.

Note: you'll find everyone uses LaTeX instead. It's not just for math.
 
Perhaps Shift+Return?

This starts a new paragraph within a numbered item.
 
Last edited:
Can't you just hit delete? If I'm imagining what you're saying, doesn't deleting it stop the numbering?
 
I like Serena said:
Perhaps Shift+Return?

This starts a new paragraph within a numbered item.

You make my day! Thanks

Merry Christmas

Alan