How to change text-direction default in Word

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, you can change the default template in Word 2010 by opening Word from the Start menu, modifying your settings, and saving the template with a different name.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I have Windows 2010 with the corresponding Microsoft Word. Both left-to-right and right-to-left text directions are available upon click (the paragraph sign pointing one way or the other), because I live in a country where both are common. I use both directions, but mostly I use the left-to-right; unfortunately, it came with a default right-to-left. Yes, I can change this every time I open a Word Document, but I would prefer to re-set the default. Going to Settings, I cannot find any way to do this. The Microsoft Word web pages do not seem to tell me how to do this. Does anyone have a clue?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Word 2010 is supposed to allow you to apply changes to future documents but if that doesn't work, you will need to change the .dotm template.
Change the Normal template (Normal.dotm ) - Word - Office Support
In Windows 7, the file is located at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm. If I remember correctly, I had previously had trouble modifying that file directly so I saved my template with another .dotm name, closed Word and then replaced the .dotm file after it was closed. Be sure to back it up.

Last edited:
Likes nomadreid
Thanks. I tried first the link, and got as far as

"Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Open." OK

"Click Templates next to File name." (Not applicable)

"If no templates are listed in the Open dialog box, click the arrow next to the Files of type box, and then click All Word Templates." Done, but

then nothing happens except that the blue circular cursor revolves endlessly. Including that

"To be certain that you're working in the default template, check to see that Normal.dotm appears in the Word title bar." does not appear.

So, I entered AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm in the Command Prompt window (after C: etc.) and received the message
"This process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Next?

Sorry about that. My first link refers to an earlier version of Word.

The template problem is expected. When you open Word, it uses that template so you can't modify it or access it at the same time. Try opening Word from the Start menu, modify your settings and then save it with another name like AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\MyNormal.dotm. Then close Word, rename Normal.dotm to Normal_Backup.dotm and then rename MyNormal.dotm to Normal.dotm. Then reopen Word and it should have your changes.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks very much, Borg. With your help, the problem has been successfully resolved. :smile:

Likes Borg
Awesome! Glad I could help. :woot: :partytime:

Likes nomadreid

1. How do I change the default text-direction in Word?

To change the default text-direction in Word, go to the "File" menu and select "Options". In the "Advanced" section, scroll down to the "Layout Options" and select "Left-to-Right" or "Right-to-Left" under the "Default text direction" drop-down menu.

2. Can I change the default text-direction for a specific document only?

Yes, you can change the default text-direction for a specific document by going to the "Page Layout" tab and selecting "Page Setup". Under the "Margins" tab, click on the "Default" button next to the "Left-to-Right" or "Right-to-Left" option to set the default text-direction for that specific document.

3. How do I change the text-direction for a specific paragraph or section in a document?

To change the text-direction for a specific paragraph or section in a document, select the text you want to change and go to the "Home" tab. Under the "Paragraph" section, click on the arrow next to the "Paragraph" option. In the "Indents and Spacing" tab, select the desired text-direction under the "Text Direction" drop-down menu.

4. How can I change the default text-direction for a specific language in Word?

To change the default text-direction for a specific language in Word, go to the "Review" tab and click on "Language". Select "Set Proofing Language" and choose the language you want to change the default text-direction for. Click on the "Set As Default" button and select the desired text-direction under the "Default text direction" drop-down menu.

5. Can I change the default text-direction for all new documents in Word?

Yes, you can change the default text-direction for all new documents in Word by going to the "File" menu and selecting "Options". In the "Advanced" section, scroll down to the "Layout Options" and select "Left-to-Right" or "Right-to-Left" under the "Default text direction" drop-down menu. Click on the "Set As Default" button to apply this change to all new documents.