Word 2003 in-line figures question

• Thread starter andy01
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses issues with formatting in Word 2003, particularly with in-line figures causing text to be pulled onto a new page. The speaker suggests using a template and provides resources for writing dissertations/theses in Word. They also offer advice on modifying the style of text to avoid formatting issues with in-line graphics. Overall, it is recommended to avoid using text-wrapping features for images in Word.
andy01
Hi, I'm using word 2003 (I know I should be using Latex, but my supervisors made me use word so they can use the collaboration features), and have found that having in-line figures is pullling down my text onto a new page when the figure is within a subsection. So on one page I have the 1. Title, and the 1.1 Title, but then nothing for the rest of the page, then on the next page I have the 1.1.1 Title with a paragraph then a figure. I want everything to just follow from each other, so I want the paragraph under the 1.1.1 section to still be on the first page, then the figure on the next. Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would strongly recommend creating a template in Word to do any serious document writing. I managed to find a course in report/thesis writing in MS Word which helped me to use Word's more advanced features.

I also found quite a lot of info in the web about using word to prepare dissertations/theses such as:

http://www.infodiv.unimelb.edu.au/tss/cpd/guides.html

To answer your query about in-line graphics, they are often not recommended in Word because of its tendency to screw the formatting.

If you want to try and fix this then find the style of the text you are inserting the image into inline and open the modify style toolbox (perhaps better to create a new text style than edit a default one).

Within the Modify Style window there should be a Format drop-down list on the bottom left so hit this and choose Paragraph. This should open another window with two tabs, selecting the 2nd tab should give you the Line and Page Break options for that style.

The option you are looking for is in the Pagination selection, but I cannot remember exactly what each does. Unfortunately from here you will probably have to dig through MS Help to find out which option relates to your case.

Good luck but if possible try to avoid using text-wrapping features for images in Word, they tend to be really annoying!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your concern about using in-line figures in Word 2003. I understand that your supervisors have requested you to use Word for its collaboration features, but you are facing some difficulties with in-line figures.

Firstly, I would recommend checking the formatting options for your in-line figures. It is possible that the figure is set to a specific size or alignment that is causing the text to be pushed onto a new page. You can try adjusting the figure size or alignment to see if that helps keep the text on the same page.

Additionally, you can also try using the "Keep with next" option for the paragraph under the 1.1.1 section. This will ensure that the paragraph stays with the figure on the next page.

If these solutions do not work, you can also try using section breaks in your document. This will allow you to have different formatting for different sections of your document, which may help with keeping the text and figures on the same page.

I hope these suggestions help. If you continue to face difficulties, I would recommend consulting with your supervisors or reaching out to Microsoft support for further assistance. Thank you.

Related to Word 2003 in-line figures question

1. What are in-line figures in Word 2003?

In-line figures in Word 2003 refer to images or graphics that are inserted directly into the body of a document, rather than being placed on a separate line. This allows for more seamless integration of images and text.

2. How do I insert an in-line figure in Word 2003?

To insert an in-line figure in Word 2003, click on the "Insert" tab, then select "Picture" from the "Illustrations" section. Choose the desired image from your computer and click "Insert." The image will be inserted directly into the document at the current cursor position.

3. Can I resize in-line figures in Word 2003?

Yes, you can resize in-line figures in Word 2003. Simply click on the image to select it, then click and drag one of the corner handles to adjust the size. You can also right-click on the image and select "Size and Position" to enter specific dimensions.

4. How do I move an in-line figure in Word 2003?

To move an in-line figure in Word 2003, click and drag the image to the desired location. You can also use the arrow keys on your keyboard to nudge the image into place. Additionally, you can right-click on the image and select "Cut" to move it to a different location in the document.

5. Can I add a caption to an in-line figure in Word 2003?

Yes, you can add a caption to an in-line figure in Word 2003. Right-click on the image and select "Insert Caption." Enter the desired caption in the text box and click "OK." The caption will be added below the image and will update automatically if the image is moved or resized.