1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to start knowledge build-up for becoming a numerical modeler?

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

I want to know what disciplines must I study to become an effective numerical modeler?
    As a numerical modeler, I expect to be able to generate numerical solutions to mathematical problems (via programming) at the same time I want to be able to explain all aspects of my model/simulation results and other aspects of the process involved.

I am fluent in fortran90, python and java, but have never been able to apply these acquired skills in solving numerical plroblems.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2012 #2
    Take a numerical methods course or two intended for physicists/engineers.

4. Nov 20, 2012 #3
    Scientific Computing would be a good course. Also check out coursera.org it has a free class on scientific computing I think.

5. Nov 20, 2012 #4
    These course notes are pretty good, a large part of it is what I covered in my computational physics/numerical methods course:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/2-29-numerical-fluid-mechanics-spring-2007/lecture-notes/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Nov 20, 2012 #5
    Thanks for the suggestion guys! Any books that you suggest I should start reading? Would it be best for me to also learn C? Matlab?

7. Nov 21, 2012 #6
    Learn how to code, forget about the language. If you already know f90 and python you won't have trouble translating matlab course exercises to them (but there exist several books on the subject that use those languages).

Just stick to the exercises in whatever book you use, there are a lot of "semester course size" books that have lots of example code (often matlab) and then there are bigger reference texts that are more complete (Schwartz "Numerical Analysis", rigorous but only has pseudocode.) Just head over to your library and find one you like.

8. Nov 21, 2012 #7

chiro

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook