How should I prepare for a computational science masters?

In summary: ACTIn summary, a computer science undergraduate is planning to pursue a master's degree in computational science, specifically in the field of scientific computing, in winter 2018. To prepare for the degree, they are studying basic mathematics and plan to further study linear algebra, statistics, and numerical methods for data science and machine learning. They are also currently learning data science with python and plan to take an online course in machine learning with R, as well as do an internship in the field next year. They are also studying physics and biology in the hopes of getting into a geophysics or genomics sequencing program. They are seeking advice on how to improve their chances of being selected for the master's program, including whether they should take examinations like
quantknight
Hi I am a computer science undergraduate planning to do a master's degree in computational science(scientific computing) winter 2018. Since I have a bachelor's degree in computer science, I want to prepare before I apply for a degree.

As of now I am following basic mathematics from A level syllabus, and once I complete basics of mathematics, I have planned to study, Linear algebra, Statistics and numerical methods (for data science and machine learning). For computer science, I am learning data science with python right now, and planned to do an online course in Machine learning with R. Also I have planned to do an internship in it next year beginning. For physics I am studying Halliday&resnick and campbel's for biology.( I want to get into geophysics or genomics sequencing program).

How can I improve my skills of getting selected in the masters program? Is my plan good enough or do I have to do anymore than that?? To establish my knowledge in genomics or geophysics, Should I write any examinations?(like GRE), what would improve my chances internship or exams?

I have contacted universities which very little helpful to get a correct answer. My efforts are totally disorganized because I don't know whether I am following the correct method. So please suggest a systematic method.

Physics news on Phys.org
what are the mathematics examinations available to test our knowledge that universities will accept?apart from GRE, SAT

1. What is the required educational background for a computational science masters?

The required educational background for a computational science masters varies depending on the program, but typically a bachelor's degree in a related field such as computer science, mathematics, physics, or engineering is preferred. Some programs may also require specific coursework in programming, statistics, and/or mathematics.

2. Is prior programming experience necessary for a computational science masters?

Prior programming experience is not always necessary, but it is highly recommended. Many computational science programs require coursework in programming languages such as Python, Java, or C++, so having prior experience in at least one of these languages can be beneficial.

3. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that I should have before applying for a computational science masters?

In addition to a strong background in mathematics and programming, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of scientific methods and research techniques. Familiarity with computer systems and software, as well as experience in data analysis and visualization, can also be beneficial for this field.

4. What types of courses can I expect to take in a computational science masters program?

The specific courses will vary depending on the program, but common courses in a computational science masters program include programming, data analysis and visualization, scientific computing, numerical methods, and machine learning. Some programs may also offer electives in specialized areas such as bioinformatics or computational physics.

5. Is there a thesis or research component in a computational science masters program?

Many computational science masters programs include a thesis or research component. This may involve working on a research project with a faculty member, completing a capstone project, or writing a thesis based on original research. However, some programs may also offer non-thesis options, such as a comprehensive exam or coursework-only option.