How to tough to publish string theory topics?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
String theory seems to be an over popularised topic with many talented people working on it already. How tough is it these days to publish in this field (on the mathematics/theory side rather than applying string theory to experiments or what not).

mathman

Science Advisor
If you have something original to contribute, it will be published. There is some argument that alternative theories have a harder time getting attention.

If you have something original to contribute, it will be published. There is some argument that alternative theories have a harder time getting attention.
The question is how hard is it to contribute something orginal as so much have been looked at by clever people.

mathman

Science Advisor
It depends on who you are. A graduate student or a post-doc in physics will get direction from senior faculty. If you don't have any connection with some research center, you will have a hard time finding a problem that hasn't been worked on.

Demystifier

Science Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
It may help if you are already an expert in some branche of physics or mathematics which so far has NOT been used in string theory. Then you have a chance to be the first who applied this branche of physics/mathematics in string theory. In fact, this is how I have published my first papers on string theory.

It may help if you are already an expert in some branche of physics or mathematics which so far has NOT been used in string theory. Then you have a chance to be the first who applied this branche of physics/mathematics in string theory. In fact, this is how I have published my first papers on string theory.
Where did you publish it?

robphy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You might also try to attend conferences and workshops on the topic.
You can learn about what some researchers are currently working on...and possibly what they are stuck on. It's also a good opportunity to network... and possibly share your ideas.

Last edited:
Just Look at arixv and start reading recent papers you will find a lot of research ideas that you might be interested in and which nobody has worked on before.

jtbell

Mentor
Necropost alert! This thread is four years old.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving