How to understand 11 dimensions

• Thread starter lcandela123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the article discusses the theory of extra dimensions, which are said to be smaller than one quantized unit and exist at sub-nuclear distances. The article explains that these dimensions are simply degrees of freedom in movement and are not relevant at such small distances in the physical world.
lcandela123
I've read that string theory requires 11 dimensions, our 3 spatial dimensions, time, and then 7 more dimensions that only exist at sub-nuclear distances. They are described as tightly wound up dimensions, much smaller than a proton.

I don't understand this picture. Mathematically, we can pinpoint any location, no matter how small, using the same 3 Cartesian coordinates. So how does the fact that they are very small mean that they are "extra" dimensions?

I've read that space is quantized at very low distances. Are these new dimensions smaller than one quantized unit? Is that why they exist, regardless of Cartesian mathematics? The math is not relevant at such small distances in the physical world?

I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're correlating their size with their higher dimensionality. The two traits aren't necessarily intrinsically bound. The fact that they are said to be very small does not mean that extra dimensions emerge due to the size. These dimensions are merely degrees of freedom in movement. The "strings" will vibrate and wind all throughout this higher dimensional space and move through all of those extra dimensions simultaneously. It is indeed a very difficult concept to visualize, I know.

hey thanks, that makes a lot more sense.

I notice that popular science articles often use the same phrases, sometime the same words, to describe scientific principles. Its like they are copying off each other. This one about the extra dimensions being curled up inside very small spaces is one. Your explanation was a lot clearer.

Some others:

"A black hole is an object with so much mass than nothing can escape from it, not even light..."

"The weak nuclear force is associated with certain forms of radioactive decay..."

This reminds me of a cartoon I saw once, where a man is listening to the radio and a parrot is perched nearby. The radio says "that piece was performed by The Academy of St Martin in the Field." And the parrot says, "Neville Marriner conducting. BRRRAAAKKK!"

What are the 11 dimensions?

The 11 dimensions refer to the different possible directions in which particles can move in space. These include the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we are familiar with, as well as additional dimensions that are predicted by some theories.

How can we understand 11 dimensions?

Understanding 11 dimensions can be challenging, as it requires a deep understanding of advanced mathematics and physics. It also requires an open mind and the ability to think abstractly. There are many resources available, such as books and online courses, that can help in understanding these concepts.

Why do we need 11 dimensions?

The idea of 11 dimensions is necessary to explain certain phenomena in the universe, particularly in the field of string theory. It helps to reconcile discrepancies between quantum mechanics and relativity and provides a more comprehensive understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

Are all 11 dimensions observable?

No, not all 11 dimensions are observable in our everyday experience. The dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions we perceive may be curled up or compactified, meaning they are too small for us to detect. However, they may still play a crucial role in the behavior of particles and the structure of the universe.

Can we ever fully understand 11 dimensions?

It is impossible to say whether we will ever have a complete understanding of 11 dimensions, as scientific understanding is constantly evolving. However, scientists continue to research and develop theories to help us better comprehend these concepts, and our understanding of the universe will likely continue to expand in the future.