Finding the 12th root of a number on a scientific calculator

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter goosey00
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculator Exponent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
goosey00
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
On a scientific calculator, how do you get a root of a number for an exponiental? Ex.-.653846^1/12=
I was taking 1/12 and making it so I can make it exponent for .653846. Obviously wrong. What am I doing here??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: exponiental problem

goosey00 said:
On a scientific calculator, how do you get a root of a number for an exponiental? Ex.-.653846^1/12=
I was taking 1/12 and making it so I can make it exponent for .653846. Obviously wrong. What am I doing here??

Largely depends on what calculator you have. On my Casio fx-83ES one would type
Code:
-0.653846 x[sup]y[/sup] ( 1 / 12)

although y is a box - can't show it on my keyboard.
 
Re: exponiental problem

SuperSonic4 said:
Largely depends on what calculator you have. On my Casio fx-83ES one would type
Code:
-0.653846 x[SUP]y[/SUP] ( 1 / 12)

although y is a box - can't show it on my keyboard.

Im still getting it wrong though. What do you get to check the answer
 
Re: exponiental problem

Maybe it's how I'm asking. It says simplify b=(squiggy equal sign).653846^1/12
 
Re: exponiental problem

goosey00 said:
Got it! Thank you!

Hi goosey00,

Welcome to MHB! :) When you make a post you might notice a yellow column on the right hand side. If you look to the top of this column and click "Scientific Calculator" then a calculator will popup where you can practice making these calculations. What did you get for your final answer?

Jameson
 
stuck again

Purchasing power=

For the orginal purchasing power f(t)=1.08 (.926127)
For the one part I got at f(t)= .40 (.931511)
They want me to know where they intersect. If you need more info, let me know
 
Re: stuck again

goosey00 said:
Purchasing power=

For the orginal purchasing power f(t)=1.08 (.926127)
For the one part I got at f(t)= .40 (.931511)
They want me to know where they intersect. If you need more info, let me know

I'm a little confused. Is this a new problem or the same one? If it's a new one then you can make a new thread in a different section of the site, but if it's still about using your calculator then let's continue the discussion here :)

Either way can you post the complete problem?
 
Re: stuck again

Jameson said:
I'm a little confused. Is this a new problem or the same one? If it's a new one then you can make a new thread in a different section of the site, but if it's still about using your calculator then let's continue the discussion here :)

Either way can you post the complete problem?
Will you back in about an hour. ? I will right when i get back
 
Re: stuck again

goosey00 said:
Will you back in about an hour. ? I will right when i get back

Ok, I'll be around and someone will surely help you today. I am on this site every day at different times and so are many others so you don't need to every worry about no one reading your questions.
 
goosey00 said:
On a scientific calculator, how do you get a root of a number for an exponiental? Ex.-.653846^1/12=
I was taking 1/12 and making it so I can make it exponent for .653846. Obviously wrong. What am I doing here??

1. Do you want to valuate

[tex]\displaystyle{\sqrt[12]{-.653846}}[/tex]

You'll get an error message because an even root of a negative number has not a real value.

2. Do you want to valuate

(exp(-.653846))^(1/12)

Determine first [tex]\displaystyle{e^{-.653846} \approx 0.52}[/tex]
and afterwards the 12th root.