Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How unrealistic are super powers?

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    Obviously I'm not talking about humans running around at super speed, turning invisible or flying or any such nonsense. Although when you think about how strange and quirky the universe is on the quantum level, is it really outrageous to suggest that there could be life out there in the universe which does have "super powers" such as being able to turn invisible or fire lazers from their eyeballs... How about being able to interact with electrical things with their mind!

I know this all seems stupid and a pretty stupid thread but when the universe is full of crazy things, is this stuff really that stupid to think about? It could be possible that there is life out there that has what we would class as a super power?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2
    Try this on for size: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee's_Superhumans
    Not really super though...
    EDIT:BTW shooting lasers from eyes is pretty unrealistic compared to others you mention. Shooting Laser would require a lot of energy, but that's not my main argument; using eyes to shoot LASER is unrealistic as having another organ would make a bit more sense.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  4. Sep 8, 2013 #3
    Just take a look around and list all the 'super' powers that life on this earth has. Birds can fly, flying insects, spiders spin webs, a certain lizard can shoot blood out of its eye, insects use camouflage, a chameleon that can change color, carnivorous plants, stinky shunks, fish breathing through gill in water, exoskeletons, quilled pocupines, sonar from bats, bees that can see UV rays, and the list goes on. So right here on earth there is a wide variety of adaptations that animals ( and plants ) do use to better their chances of survival that we know about.

5. Sep 8, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How do you turn invisible without also being blind?

6. Sep 8, 2013 #5
    Maybe the creatures who can turn invisible use echo location instead of sight? Also maybe they do turn invisible but only their eyes remain

7. Sep 8, 2013 #6

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Many animals can "turn invisible" by changing their colourings to match the surroundings. Many abilities that animals have resemble fictional superpowers but there isn't anything magic about that, taking the conversation down the line of quantum weirdness is detractive IMO.

8. Sep 8, 2013 #7
    Changing colour to match your surroundings is nothing like a super power. Sure a cricket can jump crazy high and far but it isn't possible for a larger animal to have to same ability otherwise you'd break your skeleton when you landed...

One super power that I'm thinking off mainly would be telekinesis and telepathy. We can already control a rats tail using just our thoughts but that requires computers, wires ect.

9. Sep 8, 2013 #8
    Telekinesis? Nope not possible. You have to use a long range force- ie gravity or Electromagnetic force. To use gravity you would need a crazy amount of energy whereas for electromagnetic force would just electrocute you...
    And then there is the lack of direction control....just attracting something towards you- not the best evolutionary tool. As for invisibility as Ryan said and MathJakob disagreed that it would be done by changing colours like animals...well here are a few alternatives within bounds of available technology:http://www.howstuffworks.com/invisibility-cloak.htm
    As for telepathy, well it is slightly feasible, I mean we can do it with mobile phones...Something interesting I found a while back:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_pseudo-telepathy

EDIT: Wait a second I just remembered that sound waves can be used for telekinesis...http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/16/scientists-use-sound-to-move-and-mix-liquids/

10. Sep 8, 2013 #9
    Yeh I read about the harry potter invisibility cloak but it works by bending light around the cloak right? but As Vanadium rightly said you'd go blind because no light would enter your eyes, unless of course you leave the eyes un cloaked.

I think telepathy will certainly progress into something more than moving a rats tail and having a bunch of eletrodes strapped to us with computers ect. Unfortunately we probably won't be around to see it but I think eventually we could develop "wireless" telepathy. Your thoughts are transmitted through your brain to a tiny computer which has a wire going from the computer to your brain to detect the thoughts which then sends the thought over to the correct machine.

11. Sep 8, 2013 #10
    Woops pressed post twice...

12. Sep 8, 2013 #11
    Pretty much, it uses either heated carbon nanotubes or metamaterials but there is also augmented reality technology which uses projectors and cameras; just like the Bond car in 'Die Another Day' the link I gave goes into detail about it. Oh as far as I know the cloaks only work for certain frequencies so real world military application is pretty much screwed..

Will have a lot of ethical objections...But disregarding them, the computer will necessarily have to use quantum entanglement or everyone's lives could easily be hacked. Interesting ideas, will have to think about it a bit more...

13. Sep 8, 2013 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

It doesn't have to be 100% reflective. we already have one way mirrors for interrogation rooms. You do a mix that's predominately reflective with some transmission.

14. Sep 9, 2013 #13

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand at all, are you suggesting that for something to be a "super power" it has to be unrealistic? In that case nothing you would define as a super power is possible.

I don't know of any mechanism by which telekinesis would work. For telepathy I suppose it's not impossible to imagine that an organism could evolve some form of biological radio and communicate that way. But that's hugely speculative.

15. Sep 9, 2013 #14

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have a feeling you have not defined what "super power" means. Try to define it unambiguously, then the discussion will make sense.

16. Sep 9, 2013 #15
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  17. Sep 9, 2013 #16

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's some interesting technology but I'm not sure why you would class an entity capable of levitating small particles above an appendage with sound waves as a superpower but not camouflage.

I agree with Borek that it would be good if you gave the definition of superpower that you are using.

18. Sep 9, 2013 #17
    You are confusing me with the OP....And I wasn't saying that it was a superpower just that telekinesis might be feasible.
    EDIT:I also mentioned light waves...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  19. Sep 9, 2013 #18

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Basically, these all fall under Batman's main superpower: super rich guy with access to top notch engineers and the aptitude to use the technology effectively.

20. Sep 9, 2013 #19
    The Bat was a superb engineer himself (held advanced degrees in Physics, chemistry, Biology, computer science, physics, criminal psychology) but most of his equipments were made by wayne tech which would then be modified by Bat to his own tastes...
    I just found this trolling through the web: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Batman's_education

21. Sep 9, 2013 #20

Pythagorean

Gold Member

He sounds like he's basically as a super as you can get without being supernatural about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook