The Physics Quote that changed my life

In summary, the quote by Pierre Laplace from the book Super Force by Paul Davies initially appeared to be a true and powerful statement about the predictability of the universe, but with the development of modern quantum physics, it is now believed to be false. The uncertainty and non-determinism inherent in quantum mechanics has challenged this idea, making it clear that the universe is not entirely predictable, even with complete information. Despite this, the quote continues to evoke a sense of wonder and amazement, and many still wish it were true.
MikeyW said:
I think you should place more emphasis on the difference between a governing equation and an initial condition. If you change the velocity, you will NOT change the equation used to determine the path of the ball. That equation is Newton's law for gravity, and is independent of initial conditions. All you do is get a different path, as different constants of integration.

Initial conditions ---> [Governing equations] ---> future state

Im talking about the equation of the motion not the equaitons used to find these motions. Take a ball thrown at an angle, the graph would look like a parabola, if you change the speed or direction of the ball you will change the path it takes and one equation of motion could not possibly determine them all

x2=y doesn't look like 2x2+2x+1=y Therefore you will need different equations of MOTION, however you will still use the same equations of gravity to determine this path

Physics news on Phys.org
vanesch said:
Point is, we can't know it. Heck, we can't even *write down* most real numbers. There is only a subset of measure zero of the real numbers that we can write down, and by this I even mean all kinds of "notation" like square root, "solution{}" etc...

But that was already build in from the moment we postulated that positions were going to be triples of real numbers...

This is exactly what I am trying to say, Everyone keeps thinking i mean if some Human was to try and figure out all these numbers. We can not possibly know the exact value of them due to the infinite decimal places factor you guys/girls keep bringing up

I am talking about some Super intelligence, not neccessarily all-knowing, knew all the values of everything and then knew all the exact equations, then could it compute the future and past... To me I don't see how it could not... And no this person is not all knowing so he/she would have to actually work out the equations and figure it out him/her self.

Is there anything stopping this Being from finding the truth?

FoxCommander said:
Im talking about the equation of the motion not the equaitons used to find these motions. Take a ball thrown at an angle, the graph would look like a parabola, if you change the speed or direction of the ball you will change the path it takes and one equation of motion could not possibly determine them all

x2=y doesn't look like 2x2+2x+1=y Therefore you will need different equations of MOTION, however you will still use the same equations of gravity to determine this path
This path is what we call a solution to the equation of motion. The equation of motion itself is something more general, something like [tex]F = ma[/tex] or [tex]i\hbar \partial \psi/\partial t = H \psi[/tex] (depends on which theory you're using). Probably what you're thinking of as "equation of gravity" corresponds to the equation of motion.

FoxCommander said:
This is exactly what I am trying to say, Everyone keeps thinking i mean if some Human was to try and figure out all these numbers. We can not possibly know the exact value of them due to the infinite decimal places factor you guys/girls keep bringing up

I am talking about some Super intelligence, not neccessarily all-knowing, knew all the values of everything and then knew all the exact equations, then could it compute the future and past... To me I don't see how it could not... And no this person is not all knowing so he/she would have to actually work out the equations and figure it out him/her self.

Maybe. That's kind of the definition of determinism - if the universe is deterministic, then this super-intelligent being would be able to compute the future; if not, then even a super-intelligent being, knowing everything there is to know about the universe at a single moment in time to infinite precision, would not be able to compute what would happen in the future. I believe the majority opinion right now is that physics is not deterministic (which is what quantum mechanics suggests).

FoxCommander said:

Yes, but you are missing my point. What tells you that the "exact laws of nature" are of the evolutionary kind, that is "starting conditions + evolution equations" ? This is the way we like to build our theories which try to describe nature, but what tells you that this is the "right" way to describe nature ? What if the "true laws of nature" are simply the Book (the list of all events in the universe) - and that we can only find approximate theories with "evolution equations" which do in fact nothing else but describe approximate correlations between events in different time slices ?

For sure, this is the way physics has worked since its beginnings and the paradigm "starting conditions + evolution equations" is pretty successful. In fact, it is probably the only *practical* way of doing physics. The fact that it seems to work doesn't necessarily mean that this is the way the "machinery of nature" works, but for sure it describes strong correlations between events in different, successive time slices. We seem to think of these correlations as "causal relationships", and if they are univocal, we call them "deterministic". I also argued that such correlations are necessary - up to a point - in order for some form of intelligent life to emerge: if there are NO correlations between events at a certain time, and the next set of events, then it is hard to imagine how you can "start to understand" this world, and it is hard to imagine how you could have intelligent life (or even life for short - as there can be no "actions with a purpose" given that nothing you do "now" will determine whatever in "now + epsilon seconds"). So in any case, any universe in which there is "some mechanism with a purpose" (like life, and certainly, intelligent life) needs to have correlations between events in different time slices, and finding out these correlations will give rise to theories which have {initial conditions + evolution equations}, which are nothing else but means to describe these correlations.

But again, nature doesn't have to "work" that way although, based upon our theories, we can mentally *picture* it that way. If spacetime is nothing but a bag of events, in between, as we saw, there are correlations between events in different time slices, then so be it. How it "came to be" that way (which is then nothing else but the question of "how the machinery of nature works") is an entirely different question (and most probably unanswerable) than the question of "what the correlations are" (our scientific theories), even though the mental picture we might associate with a given scientific theory is of course a *possible* way of telling us how "it came to be that way".

Think of a good fiction book, or a cartoon. Here too, we have correlations between the different "time slices" (Coyote running after Roadrunner) and we could think of "laws of coyote-physics", but how the successive events in the cartoon *came to be* (on the drawing table of the cartoonist in this case) has nothing to do with the correlations between the time slices in the movie which constituted our coyote-physics. Even though you might have found differential equations describing the motion of the queue of Roadrunner, and you might wonder how the movie projector "worked this out real-time during the projection of the motion picture while your super-duper computer couldn't converge to a solution in one hour", this is simply because that's not "how the movie works". It works by projecting different slices of "the Book" (here, the motion picture) on the screen.
This is a poor analogy of course, but I try to make you think about the concepts of "laws of nature" in the form of {initial conditions + evolution equations), causality and determinism in a broader frame.

The paradigm {initial conditions + evolution equations} is probably the only *practical way* to find out laws of nature, and they indicate correlations between events in successive time frames. They suggest causal relationships. Whether nature works that way, through genuinly causal mechanisms, or not, is a totally different question. In order to "understand" (that is, get some intuition) the theory with the evolution equations, it is very useful to set up a mental picture of a universe where nature DOES work that way. But that doesn't mean actual nature is working that way. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Your mental picture is then just a conceptual construction based upon the theory at hand.

That "book" would be almost as displeasing than the "multiverse" theory used to explain fine-tuning of constants..

But you are right, who knows whether the local area of spacetime we experiment in corresponds to a few pages which have a remarkable correlation. Why does anything have to be like it is at 391.49 bn years after the big bang? Who knows if there was a big bang, maybe the book is infinitely long and at current time the pages contain a "trace" that would make us believe there is a big bang.

Seems to be bordering metaphysics! I think we need to assume governing laws exist in order to make any progress.

MikeyW said:
Seems to be bordering metaphysics! I think we need to assume governing laws exist in order to make any progress.

That's because concepts such as causality and determinism are metaphysical concepts (they say something ABOUT physics and physical theories). As well as "exist", btw. So no wonder we're talking metaphysics when dealing with them.

I don't know if it is necessary to assume that governing laws "exist" (of course they exist,as an idea, in a Platonian sense!) to make progress although I can see its utility. However, even if it is a good idea to take on certain working hypotheses, I also think it is very useful to be aware of what assumptions we've been making and what could have been different - even though for practical purposes we prefer to think it isn't.

In any case it has given me a new perspective!

OHHHH I get it now vanesch, That makes good sense. I thought when you said Book you meant just like a list of information or something, not like an actual book.

You have given me a new way of looking at this whole thing, which is cool. Thanks!

Well Thank you guys very very much for all of your opinions, I loved an appreciated them all.
This was actually my first Thread post and you guys have made it very successful
Also, Happy Thanksgiving(for those in America)

FoxCommander