Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How will history judge President George W. Bush?

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    The last time I asked this question on PF was a year and a half ago, I believe. It was suggested back then that I wait to post this until further along into his second term. Well, here we are: how will history judge President George W. Bush?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

Don't think he is important enough to have a place in history......yet.

4. Aug 11, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He will be remembered for the greatest foreign policy disaster in U.S. history, and the terrible price paid for that blunder, for decades.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  5. Aug 11, 2007 #4
    Its still too early to tell.

6. Aug 11, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I'll be around a while to remind folks.

No, it's not. Bush is the worst US president to date. Hopefully there won't be worse, but then we shouldn't underestimated the republicans and democrats.

7. Aug 11, 2007 #6
    Errr, huh? :confused:

8. Aug 12, 2007 #7
    There is a famous quote by a famous writer about Iraq:
    ...actually, I deliberately misquoted Mark Twain.

His real quote can be found here. Yet, Twain's quote is surprisingly parallel in structure and meaning to its modernized adaptation above.

Judging by how history has judged William McKinley/Theodore Roosevelt, in another 100 years we will have a new "worst president ever."

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  9. Aug 12, 2007 #8

russ_watters

I love how people who are old enough to remember the Vietnam war say such things. :rolleyes: If you guys really believe that - jeez, how short of an attention span do the American people have?

Bush is a bad President. He is. But he's only the second worst President of this century.

And last century, there were several that were worse. And the century before that, there was one that none of those is even in the same league as.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  10. Aug 12, 2007 #9
    I would like to know who those other presidents are. Particularly, which single president this century you think is worse than Bush. I personally can think of 3 potentials.

11. Aug 12, 2007 #10
    You know, if you want to know how history will judge something. You should ask history. Thing is, you have to wait for him to get here yet. Anything else is just... pfft, predicting the future!

12. Aug 12, 2007 #11
    The thing about history is that we are supposed to learn from it. We apparently haven't.

Based on history Bush is the worst president ever. We have never had a president so secretive. We have never had a president who has so totally and successfully hidden behind executive privilege. We have never had a president who has so blatantly bypassed the concept of checks and balances. We have never had a president who has driven the country so far in debt.

And lets face it, his judgement on selecting appointees has been dismal. I won't even go into his record on domestic surveillance except to say that he has shredded the constitution in Gonzales' paper shredder.

I am no big fan of Donald trump, but the Donald makes some points in this video.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Aug 12, 2007 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He'll be remembered for what he is. A religious zealot without the intelligence or capability of being in the position he is in and of polarising the world, making it a much more dangerous place to live due to his reactionary and thoughtless actions.

14. Aug 12, 2007 #13

Evo

Have you forgotten Nixon? There was so much hatred for Americans during the Nixon administration that I used my French Passeport while traveling abroad. My mother warned me and my sister not to speak English in public. In Paris there was grafitti everywhere like "Nixon Assasin". There was only one college student I met attending the Sorbonne that thought it was cool that I was American.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  15. Aug 12, 2007 #14
    We are still number one when it comes to being hated by foreign countries.

This pic was taken in Paris.

http://watch.windsofchange.net/pics/joc10506051916.france_bush_joc105.jpg

16. Aug 12, 2007 #15

russ_watters

There was only one other President this century. :biggrin:

17. Aug 12, 2007 #16

russ_watters

Humans have short attention spans. Bush is considered by many to be the worst ever because people can remember how bad he is. Except for those who were alive at the time, most people don't remember that Nixon was actually worse. And no one remembers the half dozen other contenders for the title. How about Polk? Johnson? Nixon? Kennedy? Harding? Hoover?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  18. Aug 13, 2007 #17
    well... I'm an idiot. :rofl::biggrin:

19. Aug 13, 2007 #18
    As has been stated already look at Nixon with his "list" and his "plumbers". There was a much more fishy smell off that administration then Bush could ever create.

And lest not forget JFK. He was completely enamored with the hole spy culture and gave the CIA powers to do things that would make the current administrations running of the CIA look like a bunch of school boys playing in church. Plus remember the Cuban missile crisis, if it weren't for more level heads in his cabinet we would of gotten into a nuclear shooting war with the Russians. As for long wars that cost us greatly JFK got us into a little war in south Asia called Vietnam, a point and war most people seem to forget.

So no I think Bush will be seen in a better light in history then now with too many in the media suffering from BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome), and not being able to see anything in this administration that is good.

20. Aug 13, 2007 #19

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who?

21. Aug 13, 2007 #20

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry Russ I CAN remember Nixon (in fact I VOTED for him), GWB is MUCH worst. Nixon did not start wars for personal reasons. He made mistakes, but his international policy was very good. What Positive can you find for GWB?

GWB, could well be the beginning of the end of the USA. We are spending ourselves into a hole from which there may be no exit. This with some major for-seeable difficulties ahead. I lay it all at the feet of GWB, May he rot in... well... where ever.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?